Lough Neagh duck shooting wildfowling 14/09/19

Big Al

Will have a watch in morning. Enjoyed your last video, some great shooting and very good long retrieve by Ted. Thought you were about to get two ducks with one shot, then you rechecked yourself as second duck flew past you and missed with both barrels, shame you never connected. What auto were you using ?

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Will have a watch in morning. Enjoyed your last video, some great shooting and very good long retrieve by Ted. Thought you were about to get two ducks with one shot, then you rechecked yourself as second duck flew past you and missed with both barrels, shame you never connected. What auto were you using ?

There's a bit of a story to that. I bought it as a used Benelli M2 but soon realised it wasn't. I think it's a Montefeltro Comfort.

Good Guns, I had a M2 for fowling but it kicked the carp out of me,jumped out of shoulder so second shot hit my outer shoulder or upper arm sometimes. The montefeltro was a favourite of a shooting friend, bought for his wife and he used it more. I shoot a Benelli super sport for clays and it's my favourite gun some reason it don't kick.

How you finding the Benelli? I thought it was your over and under was the two shots you missed.

In your second video with two double missed in the dark. I have a tendency to miss high as I swing the barrel through the bird not the bead, anything close not too much a problem as patter sometimes catches it, any range I'm way over. 

I bought a tritium light nano bug 6mmx2mm used in fishing and drilled a hole in a red bead and fitted the green light in it. Makes shooting in the dark so much easier, see a slight light dot.

Edited by figgy

Great video , like you say , a special place to shoot over , these are the only duck I have seen shot this season as most of my fowling is now done on the marshes and I don't normally start till the live stock are taken off and some water start laying about .

One thing I noticed was your duck look in good condition for the early part of the season . already looking forward to your next one , THANKS for sharing.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Good Guns, I had a M2 for fowling but it kicked the carp out of me,jumped out of shoulder so second shot hit my outer shoulder or upper arm sometimes. The montefeltro was a favourite of a shooting friend, bought for his wife and he used it more. I shoot a Benelli super sport for clays and it's my favourite gun some reason it don't kick.

How you finding the Benelli? I thought it was your over and under was the two shots you missed.

In your second video with two double missed in the dark. I have a tendency to miss high as I swing the barrel through the bird not the bead, anything close not too much a problem as patter sometimes catches it, any range I'm way over. 

I bought a tritium light nano bug 6mmx2mm used in fishing and drilled a hole in a red bead and fitted the green light in it. Makes shooting in the dark so much easier, see a slight light dot.

Tbh I find the Benelli a bit short but rock solid reliable. As the cold weather comes in and the layers of clothing increases it will come into its own. It handles well and handles 3 " steel no bother.

The B525 is longer and is better for this time of year. 

With regard to the double misses, I reckon it's because they take me by surprise!

I like your green light idea though. I used to use them on pike floats when fishing at night fall. Could be worth a rattle.

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

Great video , like you say , a special place to shoot over , these are the only duck I have seen shot this season as most of my fowling is now done on the marshes and I don't normally start till the live stock are taken off and some water start laying about .

One thing I noticed was your duck look in good condition for the early part of the season . already looking forward to your next one , THANKS for sharing.

Kind words again. The ducks are in good order and flying well. I hope the wigeon start to arrive soon. The whistle sends shivers down my spine.