Do you feed wild birds?

andrewluke

I had to stop feeding the birds as our house is surrounded by cats (3 one side, 4 the other) who are out 24 hours a day, and the cats were using my garden as a hunting practice ground. Shame as I got a lot of pleasure from seeing all sorts come and go. Hardly see anything out there now, which is good for them I suppose. 

Simonm perfect opportunity to thin out the magpies and help the song birds and finches.

I feed all year and we are getting some regular families of tits and finches, along with blackbirds etc. Magpies and jackdaws are dispatched if possible.

Andrew thanks for the heads up.

Edited by figgy

Wild birds are not interested in fat balls in my garden, hung them out last year and they went mouldy, this year we have been putting out peanuts, sweetcorn, sunflower hearts , niger seed and mixed flakes.

The influx of birds has been thrice fold and their costing an arm and a leg to keep topped up 🤗

The other upside is the squirrels coming in to pick up the spoils, pass the H and N’s please 🤫

13 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Wild birds are not interested in fat balls in my garden, hung them out last year and they went mouldy, this year we have been putting out peanuts, sweetcorn, sunflower hearts , niger seed and mixed flakes.

The influx of birds has been thrice fold and their costing an arm and a leg to keep topped up 🤗

The other upside is the squirrels coming in to pick up the spoils, pass the H and N’s please 🤫

I have fat balls out most of the year in a cage, were yours in nets? Always have something coming to them from finches to jays.

12 hours ago, redial said:

Used to love feeding the birds.

That was until the rats moved in.

I am thinking about giving it another try.

try just feeding something like sunflower hearts, if you feed mixed seed that's when a lot of stuff gets scattered attracting unwelcome visitors.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I have fat balls out most of the year in a cage, were yours in nets? Always have something coming to them from finches to jays.

try just feeding something like sunflower hearts, if you feed mixed seed that's when a lot of stuff gets scattered attracting unwelcome visitors.

Yes always caged, but they wouldn’t get a look in, mesh nets not good for little feet/claws getting hooked up.

Yes, all year around. May as well as the ducks are in the garden anyway. We get loads of sparrows and finches and for the last few years a woodpecker has brought their offspring. Also the farm chucks keep getting in and the pheasant and partridge visit. The odd magpie, squirrel or woodie that ventures in gets a really bad headache if I see them. Had two lots of rats but sorted them. It's a farm I try but they are a fixture. Never going to win that war but I'll take a night every now and again when practical.

The wild birds are used to my morning routine and as soon as I've filled everything up and taken a couple of steps away they are back on the feeding station.

Loverly to see but can cost a small fortune if I bothered to add it up.