Repair Shop Heads Up

moondoggy

57 minutes ago, ditchman said:

strange length and design.................was it for a stripped down auto ?

Yes I thought that too! Just a fairly short, elongated sleeve with an even shorter one sewn on the side......no shape? Fair play to the leather worker though...a nice restoration job!

54 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

IIRC the shorter one was to hold an umbrella.

maybe the outside pocket held a light padded box to allow the slip to keep its shape in which the auto barrel was housed....and maybe the other side was done simler ...so it was used like a "leg of mutton" case

on its own it just looks a very large case of floppy leather

just a thought .........what do you rekon ?

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Two possible reasons:

1 the maker did not have access to the (or any) shotgun only measurements when constructing.

2 It was made larger to give a better carving surface/area

or possibly both.

Possibly, but when I have had gun sleeves made in the past, I have used wallpaper lining paper to draw round the gun (with plenty of oversize!) as a template, and provided this to the guy making the sleeve....

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Possibly, but when I have had gun sleeves made in the past, I have used wallpaper lining paper to draw round the gun (with plenty of oversize!) as a template, and provided this to the guy making the sleeve....

This is the way I used to get pistol templates from folks but I have made long arm slips over sized to ensure carving area is sufficient when particular "picture" required.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 20:44, panoma1 said:

sounds like Margate leather goods near five ways island to me,    Ian  ,  top bloke , done some bespoke work for me 25 yrs ago to date still looks  good to date  👍     ( have watched the repair shop recently  some serous skills in all trade aspects ) gifted people  

Edited by Saltings

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

sounds like Margate leather goods near five ways island to me,    Ian  ,  top bloke , done some bespoke work for me 25 yrs ago to date still looks  good to date  👍     ( have watched the repair shop recently  some serous skills in all trade aspects ) gifted people  

Yes it was Salty! 👍

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:58, panoma1 said:

Yes it was Salty! 👍

shame  Ian    has packed in making his own gear as first class workmanship,  but times change people wants ,   brand names or cheap,      had a chat with him a few years back ( overheads /labour  / material costs , no longer worth it anymore , a shame we are loosing skills to cheap tat and buy another next year attitude rather than buy something your kids or grandkids  can enjoy