Rugby World Cup 2019

chrisjpainter

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the NZL v CAN game is certainly a slippery one, balls going everywhere, I hope something is done about the conditions?

Commentator has just said NZL haven't dropped a thing in ten mins of second half, lots of sticky spray? But their also being allowed to play at their own pace.

There should maybe be a mercy option 53 mins played it's 56 nil, New Zealand are likely to switch off, Canada get naughty, pointless injuries picked up.

23 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I think the commentator on RTE summed it up, by saying he always had enough pressure on with other areas of his game without adding the captaincy.

A very intelligent player with a super right foot and dare I say possibly better than Ò Gara was!

makes sense, i just thought he would have been captain at some point, even in just a friendly.

I was surprised at how flat Ireland seemed yesterday, they seemed to be stood still getting the ball?

And Italy haven't been nilled 👏👏 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

makes sense, i just thought he would have been captain at some point, even in just a friendly.

I was surprised at how flat Ireland seemed yesterday, they seemed to be stood still getting the ball?

And Italy haven't been nilled 👏👏 

I can't see them getting much more though!

12 minutes ago, henry d said:

Farrell rattled from the hit?

Perhaps he's seeing two sets of posts! I wouldn't be surprised after that hit. It's not been a classic and I don't think the red card's helped, but it was the right call. I just wish we'd stop kicking the ball and start pressuring the 14-man defence a bit more. I'd have a reshuffle in the backs. Take off farrell and bring on Slade or Joseph

Japanese rugby has come on a lot over the last few decades. I remember some time in the mid-eighties going down with a friend to an open playing field on the edge of Anderson Drive in Aberdeen to watch Japan play Scotland B.  On a dreich Saturday afternoon there were possibly 100 spectators on the touchline, and Scotland B put a cricket score on the board. Compared to how this Japan team just beat Samoa it might have been light years away. The team they've got now play very good rugby indeed and every other team in this world cup has to respect them, especially with their home support.

In any world cup I like it when the home side does well. It adds to the atmosphere.

Edited by Retsdon

21 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

Peculiar England game. . . . Dunno yet if that's what they had to do to win as I assume that was the goal vs looking good?

I really hope they have more flair in the bag for whats on the horizon and recon George Ford was man of the match

Yeah I thought that, I was dazed and confused when it was announced that Underhill was man of the match. I  thought his was just another normal performance, nothing overly special, just a solid all round game. Ford was the one moving it forward and spreading the play. The only real bright spark in an otherwise forgettable 6-try win!

21 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah I thought that, I was dazed and confused when it was announced that Underhill was man of the match. I  thought his was just another normal performance, nothing overly special, just a solid all round game. Ford was the one moving it forward and spreading the play. The only real bright spark in an otherwise forgettable 6-try win!

I disagree. Underhill was the star performer today. He and Curry make an exceptional back row pair.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I disagree. Underhill was the star performer today. He and Curry make an exceptional back row pair.

Been out all day so just watched the game.

I thought Underhill was outstanding, great work rate, tackling and ball carrying. Ford was also good, but playing behind a pack in control he should be.

Once they had the bonus point they went off the boil, job done.

Argentina going down to 14 took something away from the game but hey ho.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

The ball kicking back and forth was more like a tennis Talley than Rugby.

That's normal rugby union, but i think it was about keeping the ball in play to tire out Argentina.

I was there! Really great atmosphere but yes the game itself went a bit flat once we had the bonus point. 

Then hot footed it back into Tokyo to watch the Japan Vs samoa game in the bar (well from outside as it was heaving). The highlight of the night was the Japanese police getting confused by lots of drunk ‘gaijin’ having fun. Their polite loudhailer demands were

”please clear the road” - it wasn’t actually road more a footpath. 

“Please be quiet” - followed by lots of ssssshhhhhhhh’ing in return  

“Please go home” - this fell on deaf ears. 

I was then interviewed by Japanese TV who wanted to understand what was going on. 

10 hours ago, JDog said:

Agreed, as an ex back row I tend to home in on them and he even eclipsed Curry. It was also nice to see how BV's replacement (brain not working yet) was playing and I look forward to seeing Ludlam (brain now working) Curry and Underhill in the future.