Rugby World Cup 2019

chrisjpainter

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scotland v Japan game isn't off yet, decision to be made Sunday, and Scotland are looking at legal possibilities, I really can't understand how the game can't be moved back a day.

Given how good the tournament has been so far it would be a shame for something like this to spoil things.

5 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Fairly comfortable victory for Ireland and a place in the QF.

Gotta feel for Bundee Aki though as his world cup is now over. Fine margins indeed!

All these yellow and red cards are doing my head in, some have been justified but when the guy with the ball is dropping and weaving and the tackler is bent as well then that should be good enough, not the same as a high tackle, shoulder charge into a ruck.

And there going back checking things that seem so minor, messing with the flow of the game.

42 minutes ago, Mice! said:

All these yellow and red cards are doing my head in, some have been justified but when the guy with the ball is dropping and weaving and the tackler is bent as well then that should be good enough, not the same as a high tackle, shoulder charge into a ruck.

And there going back checking things that seem so minor, messing with the flow of the game.

My worry is that at some point, the carrier will go low, the tackler will go low and you'll get a head-to-head slamming. Elite level countries and pros will be technically solid tacklers, but minor clubs' players are going to be getting the wrong side all the time. Sooner or later, we're going to see two cracked skulls and brain damage - the very things these new safety rules are designed to avoid

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

My worry is that at some point, the carrier will go low, the tackler will go low and you'll get a head-to-head slamming. Elite level countries and pros will be technically solid tacklers, but minor clubs' players are going to be getting the wrong side all the time. Sooner or later, we're going to see two cracked skulls and brain damage - the very things these new safety rules are designed to avoid

That's about what happened with Bundee Aki, they were both low, but I know what you mean, they brought in helmets in NFL to improve safety, look what that did.

4 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

if both are low and bent knees its a no win situation,   the  media will hype the hell out of it ,   those guys are built like out houses tackle and control impact to reduce serious  injury to the other players    regardless  ,     rugby is not soccer / football,       rugby is a hard contact sport   (when was the last time anyone was stretchered off  out cold or a broken limb in rugby  )  way dirtier play in football on and off the ball,  however  not many sin bins or red cards all round first rate sport , if quality is lacking media will highlight the good , if the quality is good the media will highlight the bad  (media drama) jibber jabber

I have just got home from that bar having watched the game (I am living in Tokyo at the moment).  One of the best nights of my life. Everybody bar a couple of Scotland fans were supporting Japan. And to be fair to the Scots they were humble in defeat. Rugby crowds really are the best. 

37 minutes ago, AVB said:

I have just got home from that bar having watched the game (I am living in Tokyo at the moment).  One of the best nights of my life. Everybody bar a couple of Scotland fans were supporting Japan. And to be fair to the Scots they were humble in defeat. Rugby crowds really are the best. 

That's a good session! I watched it in the hotel bar on the Costa del Sol, the 2 Scots who were in left shortly after the second half started, so missed the excitement, which left me, a Kiwi and the bar staff (who didn't have a Scooby!).

Just watched the game and managed to avoid the result.

Fantastic game, settled on the pitch.

I'm sure the commentary team said the Japanese team have speant 240 days together this year!! Just shows how seriously Japan have taken hosting and playing in the world cup.

Great fitness flare and defence, I'm sure South Africa won't be expecting an easy game.