Rugby World Cup 2019

chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Everyone up, kids fed, England tops on Come on!!

I don't think or hope SA can match us, so as we keep our cool, don't give penalties. 

Well I've been very wrong so far,   SA have got their tactics spot on and we've saved our worst game for the final 😭😭😭

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Simplistically, a team can only play as well as the opposition let them! England stopped the All Blacks playing their game and the All Blacks couldn’t stop England playing theirs....Wales couldn't stop the All Blacks playing their game and the All Blacks pretty much stopped Wales playing theirs!.........Which means we shouldn't underestimate the Springboks! They could stop England (no matter how good England looked against the All Blacks) playing their game....and England may not be able to stop the Springboks (however they played against Wales) playing theirs?

This is what I feared!

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We were well beaten by the BETTER side.

I've seen better rugby played on school playing fields. Good tactical performance by SA and dire performance by England.

Edited by Eyefor

17 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yup. scrappy, broken and messy suited SA down to a T

I was expecting SA to have a yellow card during our one phase with the ball, several deliberate fouls during the penalty advantage,  but we were terrible with the ball, on the back foot throughout and as much as I didn't like the SA game plan they spanked us. 

Glad I'm not a gambler I'd have lost money today. 

19 minutes ago, walshie said:

Cue the Welsh who've been notably absent popping their heads up now.  Note: A silver medal is better than no medal. 

A bit cynical of you , fair play you made the final of the world cup, you were outplayed and got the silver medal which is more than Wales did.

England can take away from the tournament that they came second.Wales take away the fact that as a small nation we punch above our weight and hold our own in the top tier of rugby.
Interesting year ahead in rugby.

4 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

A bit cynical of you , fair play you made the final of the world cup, you were outplayed and got the silver medal which is more than Wales did.

England can take away from the tournament that they came second.Wales take away the fact that as a small nation we punch above our weight and hold our own in the top tier of rugby.
Interesting year ahead in rugby.

It wasn't actually you I was hinting at. 👍

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We were well beaten by the BETTER side.

Fair play to you for saying it. I watched South Africa play when they won this year's southern hemisphere competition and all through this World Cup I've had this feeling that they were somehow only playing half their game. And it turns out that they were. They were doing just enough to win -  and today they  finally shifted into an extra gear to put England away with relative ease.

In any event,  it's better that the competition wasn't decided by some controversial  or marginal refereeing decision or a stupid mistake by someone. Basically the England forwards got powered off the park and the Springboks finally remembered that they have a world class back line. 

It was an excellent game and you can't win them all.

Edited by Retsdon

39 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Welsh through and through, even though my Dad was English and i was born in Germany

I was born in Aberdeen and grew up in Swansea. In Swansea, people would say to me 'but you're not Welsh' - and to be honest even though my accent was Welsh  I never thought of myself as Welsh either,. Then in my 20s I moved back to Aberdeenshire, and because my accent wasn't the same as theirs. people would say to me, 'but you're not really Scots'

Then in 1990 I moved to South Africa for a look-see.. And not long after I"d got my permanent residence I was  watching a rugby game in a bar with a bunch of Afrikaaners. And someone said - who cares where you're from?...if you support the Bokke,  you're a South African!' And everyone in the group clapped.

And I've supported the Springboks ever since.

Edited by Retsdon

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I was born in Aberdeen and grew up in Swansea. In Swansea, people would say to me 'but you're not Welsh' - and to be honest even though my accent was Welsh  I never thought of myself as Welsh either,. Then in my 20s I moved back to Aberdeenshire, and because my accent wasn't the same as theirs. people would say to me, 'but you're not really Scots'

Then in 1990 I moved to South Africa for a look-see.. And not long after I"d got my permanent residence I was  watching a rugby game in a bar with a bunch of Afrikaaners. And someone said - who cares where you're from?...if you support the Bokke,  you're a South African!' And everyone in the group clapped.

And I've supported the Springboks ever since.

Sounds reasonable!