Rugby World Cup 2019

chrisjpainter

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, andrewluke said:

Oops

Such a child. You were pathetically absent after your loss in the semi final. It's stuff like this that gives some Welsh supporters a bad name this side of the border. 

Just got in from 260 mile drive back from the N York Moors. Well that was disappointing! I thought SA had one chance to win, but they took it with gusto. They broke it down, made it scrappy and put the pressure on by winning pens, then were ruthless when it got more open. England never really settled and couldn't come up with a plan B. The right team won on the day.

4 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Such a child. You were pathetically absent after your loss in the semi final. It's stuff like this that gives some Welsh supporters a bad name this side of the border. 

Just got in from 260 mile drive back from the N York Moors. Well that was disappointing! I thought SA had one chance to win, but they took it with gusto. They broke it down, made it scrappy and put the pressure on by winning pens, then were ruthless when it got more open. England never really settled and couldn't come up with a plan B. The right team won on the day.

i was absent before the semi final loss:good:,you've taken the loss very badly😢,at least you'll get used to it when the six nations arrives😁

4 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i was absent before the semi final loss:good:,you've taken the loss very badly😢,at least you'll get used to it when the six nations arrives😁

Except to point out a 'poor NZ performance' against England. So it seems you're quiet for a Wales match, but noisy for an England one? This must mean either you're actually an England fan, or, like so many Wales fans so obsessed with England results that they seem more important than your own. That's a bit sad.

I'd say saying the right team won on the day, that SA played out their tactics well and were ruthless with it, would be the mark of someone taking the loss well? Recognising the good in the opposition, not just the bad of England. Not that Brexit needs to raise its ugly head in such a grand thread as this, but I trust you voted to remain?

Yes, bring on the Six Nations. It's a shame no other nation really stepped up to justify a second tier as a 6N feeder; I was so hoping Georgia had the odd upset here and there!

9 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yes, bring on the Six Nations. It's a shame no other nation really stepped up to justify a second tier as a 6N feeder; I was so hoping Georgia had the odd upset here and there!

Invite Japan,  or maybe make a barbarian style team,  it's a shame because no one expects Italy to do anything. 

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Invite Japan,  or maybe make a barbarian style team,  it's a shame because no one expects Italy to do anything. 

Oooh a Barbarian team could be fun! How would it work? The best from Georgia, Romania, Spain and Russia? 

I just feel it's the same old problem. Not quite enough teams to justify it yet. Unless you drop it to five nations again, but you'd expect any one of the current big 5 to romp through a lower league of Italy, Romania, Spain, Russia and Georgia. Have I missed any European nation out?

(Japan are only separated from Russia by sea - can we stretch Europe a bit?)

27 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I thought SA had one chance to win, but they took it with gusto.

Not sure about that really. Up the thread somewhere you posted a line that went  something like 'South Africa only know how to play one way', and I actually had it in quotes in the reply box with the rejoinder 'didn't you watch this years Rugby Championship?' But then I thought I don't want to jink them and deleted it.

But no, aside from the opening All Blacks game, for the whole tournament South Africa have done just what they needed to do to win and no more. But if you'd seen them winning in the summer witth  what was basically the same team you'd have known that they had under wraps a very dangerous back line indeed. And today they pulled the wraps off and let it loose. 

Not knocking the England team at all, but today the Springboks were better in every department  - just as England were against the All Blacks last week. I think these days the game is played at such a high level that tiny margins on the day can translate into massive differences on the field.  And today the Boks owned those tiny margins.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

Not sure about that really. Up the thread somewhere you posted a line that went  something like 'South Africa only know how to play one way', and I actually had it in quotes in the reply box with the rejoinder 'didn't you watch this years Rugby Championship?' But then I thought I don't want to jink them and deleted it.

But no, aside from the opening All Blacks game, for the whole tournament South Africa have done just what they needed to do to win and no more. But if you'd seen them winning in the summer witth  what was basically the same team you'd have known that they had under wraps a very dangerous back line indeed. And today they pulled the wraps off and let it loose. 

Not knocking the England team at all, but today the Springboks were better in every department  - just as England were against the All Blacks last week. I think these days the game is played at such a high level that tiny margins on the day can translate into massive differences on the field.  And today the Boks owned those tiny margins.

I haven't actually. And I can see how that could be the case though, given their performance in the last quarter today. For the first three quarters, they did what I feared. Keep it tight, make it bitty and keep winning and kicking the pens. In a way, it's a shame they didn't play like they did in the last quarter for the whole match, what a final that would have been! But I guess that's about game management. Stifling England early was the best tactic, and then the hard yards earned there gave licence to free up in the latter stages. Tactically and technically, they were convincing winners.

1 minute ago, henry d said:

A big tiny margin was Kyle, changed the game 100%

Bet that's the first time he's been called tiny

12 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I couldn't believe how many times England passed to no one! You can't get going forward when the ball is behind you.

16 minutes ago, henry d said:

Back on topic again.... England kicked for points too many times, I think they should have kicked to the corner and played the game.

I know what you mean but you have to take points, Kyle going off seemed to really shake them, probably more errors in today's game than the rest of the tournament,  also the high ball,  how many times did the Boks get their own kick.

28 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Oooh a Barbarian team could be fun! How would it work? The best from Georgia, Romania, Spain and Russia? 

I just feel it's the same old problem. Not quite enough teams to justify it yet. Unless you drop it to five nations again, but you'd expect any one of the current big 5 to romp through a lower league of Italy, Romania, Spain, Russia and Georgia. Have I missed any European nation out?

(Japan are only separated from Russia by sea - can we stretch Europe a bit?)

Japan need to keep playing good opponents in order to keep progressing. 

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I couldn't believe how many times England passed to no one! 

The Bok 'defence' is a potent weapon. There's not another international defensive line that comes up so fast and with such ferocious intensity. The very moment you get the ball already  expect a couple of 110+kg blokes bearing down on you...no time to look...no time to think...and you know that whatever you do you're  just a moment away from getting absolutely hammered into the ground .

It's very easy to make a mistake....

Edited by Retsdon

30 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Do you think the Irish can beat England to the title????

No,,,no,,,and no....lol

But now that schmidt is gone we might actually start to play some "rugby".....use our backs and stop this groundhog style weve got drawn into.....then again Farrell is now coach....."doh".....

19 minutes ago, millrace said:

But now that schmidt is gone we might actually start to play some "rugby"........use our backs and stop this groundhog style weve got drawn into....

You know the saying? ....'The forwards decide who wins, the backs decide by how many'...

Rugby is a power game and teams that win the big competitions win them up front. The rest is window dressing really.

12 hours ago, blackbird said:

Let’s face it the Southern Hemisphere teams are far superior to our way of playing the game, it’s been a fantastic tournament which I thoroughly enjoyed & what really impressed me not one report of fan bad behaviour.

We had 9 changes and it showed we was awful England lost Kyle and it showed in the scrum the southern hemisphere can slot in any player in any position and still play as unit 

Well not the result we wanted but what a day. Arrived at the ground at 2pm for a game that started at 6pm! One big party that we continued afterwards to drown our sorrows. 

Got back to apartment at 3:30am and was meant to be in office for a 9am meeting (on a Sunday!). Made it in for 11. 

29 minutes ago, AVB said:

Well not the result we wanted but what a day. Arrived at the ground at 2pm for a game that started at 6pm! One big party that we continued afterwards to drown our sorrows. 

Got back to apartment at 3:30am and was meant to be in office for a 9am meeting (on a Sunday!). Made it in for 11. 

Sounds like a proper day out, but I wouldn't have been going to the office. 

9 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

We had 9 changes and it showed we was awful England lost Kyle and it showed in the scrum the southern hemisphere can slot in any player in any position and still play as unit 

Yes Kyle Sinckler off early,  but Dan Cole not exactly a green horn....it wasn't Sinckler going off that lost England the game..they just didn't get firing, SA had an answer for everything. Great game to watch .

A strange tournament with a lot of twists this time.

Rich