Fio 615 v 616 primers

Hi 

Fairly new to reloading and I am loading longshot gunpowder for 20 bore fibre 28g game loads. 

I have loaded what I thought were shells with 616 primers, but they are 615 ones. I have chronographed the shells ave 1155 fps, is fast enough for me. Faster then eley zeniths, and express, I tested at same time. They pattern nicely (nickel plated shot) at 40 yards,  barrels clean and nicely dispatched 2 pigeons circa 35 yards (2 shots 2 kills, which is unusual for me 🙂 ) . I have read longshot is a slow burning powder and needs the hotter primers, ie 616 , cx2000 and hodgdon data stated 616. Question is should I be worried using 615 primers, I cannot test pressure, loss in performance. 

Thanks in advance for any advice / thoughts.

Cheers Matt

615's are the cooler primer (lower pressure), so if you are getting 1155fps and are happy with this, I would leave as is.

Longshot Load data below,

Lead Shot 1 oz.

17.4gr/17.5ge is getting 1165fps, if you are using same, then only 10fps difference.

Longshot.jpg

Edited by Stonepark

Guest cookoff013

forget the weight of wad, its nonsense.

these mid to low power primers really shine when you are running a powder at its maximum shot payload and pressures. the reasoning behind them and actual facts are once the powders are being used there naturally maximum payload they start to burn exceptionally clean, (aka eating all the fuel / powder you give it / higher pressures). it is allready efficient at burning the powder clean, and doesnt need encouragement from a hotter primer. the second part, is with these cooler primers and efficient powder / payload *can* make the pressures more consistent. in some cases yes some no. depends on powder / payload etc. 

nb,

dont forget that 20gauge has a higher MAP / ptmax than 12gauge, use that to your advantage. as the gauge chamber size gets smaller, the pressures get larger. 

reload safe. 

please

Guest cookoff013

OK,

just looked up all the resources.... thanks stonepark for the hodgdon data. it was spot on.

it looks  like a great load. 

infact, out of all the powders and all the data, you seem to have picked up an exellent shell, powder well suited to the job,and used in the right application. and spot on .

did you randomly get the data ? or did you do a ton of research? cos it seems like the latter.

NB,

are you using 70mm hulls too?

Thanks cookoff really appreciate you advice. Did quite a lot of research on this, as new to reloading, a very interesting hobby and a lot to take in. Not in it to save money, longshot expensive powder, just to produce a good cart. Not interested in super fast ones, as does not suit my swing and I have found through testing that manufactured carts are not as fast as they state and too fast can blow pattern.

Yes using 70mm hulls, took a bit of trial and error on fibre wads and cork spacers to get a good crimp.

Always looking to learn more.

Guest cookoff013

keep up the good work. 

good show on the 70mm hulls, those american recipe are always 70mm.

with your powder charges its not excessive cost. while it is expensive to reload,  you have done the exactly the right thing.

did you weigh the powder drops or use a chart? i would always check by a scale (i just had to say)

you are doing the right thing, with the research, "stella job"

Cheers cookoff. I have a charge bar that I can manually open or close as required. Being a bit ocd, I double check each powder drop with a scale anyway, as drops do vary. Shooting is a lot about confidence and I know all the carts I produce, will have minimal variation between them and therefore consistancy. I even measure shot after drop, taking out / adding odd shot required. Only reload for game shooting, as when you spend £30 plus a bird, the effort is worthwhile. I only shoot circa 500 carts a year at game, so taking my time on each cart is not a problem. 

Not fussed on clays, will shoot cheapest cart I can get my hands on :-). If I miss there is always another clay coming straight after. Missing a 40 yard plus pheasant or partridge, irks me and I lay away at night analysing / going over what I will do next time I have the opportunity. Sad I know :-).