Browning Maxus Bolt

kippylawkid

The bolt/cocking handle to my Browning Maxus has just fallen out as I placed it back in the cabinet.. The gun is less than 12 months old, had light use and has not been dis-assembled. 

Should i just clip it back in or do I need to dis-assemble? It does click in but I can easily pull it out - which makes me think I'm not doing it correctly.

Or do I utilize the warranty - I don't want to take any chances with a relatively new gun?

Appreciate any experience and feedback from the PW massive.

Edited by kippylawkid

About a year (maybe more?) or so ago, as I recall, there were reports that this was a common fault with the Maxus..........I think there was a modification suggested? Again as I recall, it was to do with the recess in the block which retained the bolt handle, was too shallow?

Or was it the recess in the bolt handle? 🤔

Edited by panoma1

31 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Again, as I recall, these reports were of the bolt handle just failing out in the field...and getting lost?

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

They are designed to be easily removed to allow the action to be stripped cleaning.

Thanks for the replies. My concern is that the bolt will just fall out in the field as it is very slack and easy to pull out.I don't want that concern every time I use the gun.

The SX4 had the bolt handle falling out fault.

Check yours is pushed all the way in and you feel it click lock into place. When you tug it out you should feel the spring ball indent give. If yours is very easy even when inserted fully. File the indent in the bolt a little deeper with a round file. It should stay in place then.

Edited by figgy
Fat finger typo

17 hours ago, figgy said:

The SX5 had the bolt handle falling out fault.

Check yours is pushed all the way in and you feel it click lock into place. When you tug it out you should feel the spring ball indent give. If yours is very easy even when inserted fully. File the indent in the bolt a little deeper with a round file. It should stay in place then.

Thank you. I will have a go.

That should read SX4 fat fingers on phone.

Just make the indent a bit deeper and it should hold ok.

The QC on Browning Maxus guns seems to have gone down a bit.  I took my Maxus back as after stripping to clean after first outing on clays, to check shim set up was correct. I noticed the hammer was oy striking the firing pin across about a third of the width of the hammer. This was starting to swage the metal face of the hammer. Took it back to dealer who sent it back to Browning. When it came back and I checked they had done nothing, not even springing it over a little to line up.

Sorted myself at home in vice with grips, now hits straight on the pin. Had a line of rust appear on the barrel where the rib is joined to it. Treated with a bit of oil for now but not what one would expect from a coated barrel. Cerakote due in future if I keep it.

Edited by figgy