PPI job losses

mel b3

Just thinking out loud really , but what happened to all of the folks that worked in the ppi reclaim industry now that it's all over ? . My brain started ticking when I noticed a TV ad for claiming money back from delayed flights , is that just the next job that they move along to ?.

Edited by mel b3

Just now, mel b3 said:

I wonder if in the future , well be able to claim back monies from Asda etc . If they sold something that could have been bought cheaper elsewhere, or if they sold something that was harmful (cigarettes, full sugar coke , lard) etc.

If it does come it will start in America and follow here about 18 months later!

1 hour ago, dodgy dave said:

no i dont when i first moved here about forty years ago it was £8 and i never bother  you have got me thinking now .any ideas who i claim from

The company who supply all the electric poles and cables, for me South West Electric or Sweb (not who you pay your bill too). They send me a cheque every year for the rental of my ground. They pay for poles, underground earth cables, spikes etc. When I claimed it was simple, no forms nothing, I called them and obviously their system is mapped out. They send me a full list of what was on my property, poles are obvious but underground earth cables I had no clue about. Mine was even backdated about 5 years to when I bought the place. If the poles are on your land get in touch with them it's your money even if it's only £10 a year. 

3 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

no i dont when i first moved here about forty years ago it was £8 and i never bother  you have got me thinking now .any ideas who i claim from

Ditto. We have a high voltage pole in our field and get £8 a year for it. Methinks it might be worth re-negotiation. 

I was chatting to a young lawyer (pretty too!) when out shooting - we had never met before and were exchanging usual pleasantries re jobs, family etc - and when I suggested her path of financial law was rather dry she reeled off about a half dozen potentially huge rip-offs by banks etc that might hit the headlines soon. One was (as above) PCP deals plus timeshare rip-offs and there was another relating to the movement of money, worldwide, away from IRS/HMRC's clutches. So I suspect the PPI vulchures will be gainfully employed for a while longer.

I read that mis sold solar panels may be the next big compensation claim.

I don't know if they mean solar panels that warm water, or those that generate electricity.

Personally - I don't see how this can work ........ as I would think any 'promise' of energy/heat from sunlight in the UK is on dodgy ground anyway - ever heard of British summers, or clouds?

However, truth, solid facts, or weather never hampered a dodgy lawyer.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I read that mis sold solar panels may be the next big compensation claim.

I don't know if they mean solar panels that warm water, or those that generate electricity.

Personally - I don't see how this can work ........ as I would think any 'promise' of energy/heat from sunlight in the UK is on dodgy ground anyway - ever heard of British summers, or clouds?

However, truth, solid facts, or weather never hampered a dodgy lawyer.

It's the electricity generating ones where people feed back to the grid. Essentially people were convinced to get loans to pay for the panels on the proviso their fee from the grid would cover their loan payments (and more). Naturally it hasn't (at least not in all cases) so people are left servicing loans they can't afford and/or don't want. 

Just now, simonm said:

It's the electricity generating ones where people feed back to the grid..........

Thanks:  I can't see how any 'promise' of performance after installation can be worth anything (either in law, or to anyone with a bit of common sense) because the overall result achieved will be dependant on the weather/sunshine.  It seems to me a bit like someone trying to claim for a mis-sold holiday because it rained and the brochure showed sunshine!

I know people with panels and (at least some of) those who got in early and got the high feed in tariff/subsidy before it was reduced seem to have done OK.  Not so sure about people who missed the early 'sweetener' deals.