Family heirloom

Lord Geordie

Took a trip to dads today (just checking he was OK) and sat nattering to him while filling in paperwork to sort my late mums accounts etc for him. He tells me there is something in the drawdown for me! I ignored him as i was trying to get the forms filled in for the banks. He again told me there was something in the drawdown and asked my partner to get it for me! She came back with an Avia watch circa 1940 that apparently belonged to my dads old man before he passed away ( some military experimental stuff regarding mines and aircraft ) apparently his plane went down. But anyway dad seems to think the watch is gold, but I can’t find any markings which i would say are proof marks. It’s a Dennison case and the movement looks very clean but over the years the oil has hardened and it needs a service! Being my grandfathers I am wanting to see about getting it done professionally at a smiths rather than try it myself. It’s a nice square case, round dial with seconds sundial and is a rather small size compared to my daily wear watches. It’s about the same size as one of the trench watches I have. 

I will have another look later with the loup and see if I can find any other markings, but it’s a very pretty little thing.   

BAAE404D-7474-47E7-92DE-27B9407D3E0C.jpeg

Edited by Lord Geordie

Martin that is a spot on bit of kit and worth every penny it costs to get it up & running as intended and even more so as its gone from your grandad to your dad now to you .

I love things with history .... imagine what its done while on your g/dads wrist all those years ago !

I inherited a small collection of bayonets 3 yrs back & there's 4-5 of them from the early 18 hundreds .

When I get round to it I'm going to contact the armouries in leeds to see if I can make an appointment to learn more about them .