Hello! Shotgun certificate question

Gman1707

Hello, new member from west Oxfordshire, and happy owner of a Berreta Silver Pigeon!

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I have a question regarding my shotgun licence.

I am attempting to join the RAF in the hopes of becoming a pilot, and am unsure if I might have to temporally give up my licence during training etc where I will be away from home for a few months at a time.

the gun is registered to my parents address where I currently live and only I have access to it (keys stored in a separate safe only I can access), but if I leave home for a few months would that be breaking the terms of my licence?

I have thought of asking my dad to apply for a licence and transferring the gun to him if I have to give mine up, but this could take a few months and I’d prefer to keep my licence so I can continue practicing this fantastic sport.

I think I’d have to notify plod about the career change and talk to them about it anyway but it’d be nice to hear any advice you may have.

Thanks,

George 

Plenty of people working away from home for longish periods of time 

personally would contact the local firearms department and seek there guidelines

on procedures for serving members of the armed forces 

im sure you can come to a favourable agreement 

Or if time is short lodge gun with local rfd or gun club 

hope this helps 

all the best 

of 

You will be fine keeping it at your parents. My firearms are stored at my fathers address and sometimes I won’t go there for months! They aren’t listed on my certs that they’re stored there either. Remember security is down to the certificate holder. Good luck with the RAF 👍🏻 

Gman, you have a long way to go yet, don’t get to worried until you actually have a date for initial training. Have you completed and passed all aptitude testing and interviews? If so you should soon be expecting a date for IOT. You will not be permitted to take your shotgun with you during the initial periods, but once in the latter stages you simply gain the paperwork from the armoury, get the relevant sigs, then keep it there. Every unit will allow you to keep shotguns in the armoury as regs DO NOT permit any serving member living in SFA (married quarters) to keep weapons on the premises. 

Points to remember. The armoury do not care less about your beloved woodwork, it will be placed in a rack and treated accordingly, buy a sock to keep it in. Any person can hand any weapon into any armoury, it will be cleared and secured. The paperwork you submit is allowing you to REMOVE you weapon, so once it’s in, it will stay there until you have the paperwork. Military armoury will not accept any ammunition, that goes to the bomb dump, never try to hand in shells over the counter as you will get a hugely angry armourer swearing at you and pointing out your ineptitude.

Good Luck and don’t give up if they say ( not quite good enough, come back next year ).

11 hours ago, hod said:

Maybe not what you want to ask as soon as you are in the door, but do most bases not have an armoury that can be used (within reason) for privately owned firearms?  This may be a bit out of date and not every part of military mind you. 

thats what i did.........as there was a military clay club on the base ..........

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thats what i did.........as there was a military clay club on the base ..........

hello, if that is Brize Norton air base they have a very good clay pigeon club near, not sure if it is still affiliated to the base

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

You are only required to notify your licensing dept’ of a change in your ‘permanent address’. 

I’m assuming you’ll be returning home when on leave or whenever, so if this is the case then you won’t be changing your permanent address. 

This means not only do you NOT need to give up your ticket, you don’t even have to inform them.