Decisions decisions!!

Wonkyshot

🚨 *First post Alert* 🚨 

Good evening all,

I am a novice clay basher, I have shot a handful of times since being granted my SGC 2 years ago and I have always shot with my buddy who is a born and bred shooter. However he lives a way away and I want to get out and try to get into it a bit more. I have never shot alone but think I need to in order to get some practice in and my two options are Saturday’s at either Dartford or the Fennes. Dartford is 15mins drive Vs Fennes @ an hour away. I prefer to shoot sporting and I know both Dartford and Fennes have time delayed traps so both are available.

So, do I go Dartford at 15mins each way and £15 for 50 sporting, or Fennes at an hour each way and I don’t know the price? Would I be welcome as a lone, novice shooter at both and is Fennes worth the extra travel?

Would appreciate your advice??

JJ's is near Dartford, just south of Bluewater, I have been there solo and at Dartford as well. No issues at all. Usually joined a group for sporting or squad on trap or skeet. They have always been very welcoming.  I have now moved away from that area and when I started shooting at my new location solo I met some more very nice people and now shoot with regualr friends.

Just get out there and enjoy  

24 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fennes and get some instruction!

I have had instruction from some good shots whilst out on the grounds, and also a session at Eastern Sporting in the simulator, I just want to practice all of the things I have learned or discover where I need specific coaching. Sounds like the Fennes might be worth the extra effort..

25 minutes ago, B391 said:

JJ's is near Dartford, just south of Bluewater, I have been there solo and at Dartford as well. No issues at all. Usually joined a group for sporting or squad on trap or skeet. They have always been very welcoming.  I have now moved away from that area and when I started shooting at my new location solo I met some more very nice people and now shoot with regualr friends.

Just get out there and enjoy  

I have read about JJ’s, it looks good but the website is very limited with info, I am busting to get out. I have heard some good things.

Thanks for the replies!!

5 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

The important thing to remember is nobody gets better sitting at home! Get out and get shooting, ignore everyone who tells you their way is the best, find what works for you!

if you find an instructor you like get a good hold on them and stick with them

Yes that’s my thoughts exactly, I’ll certainly hit more clays when I’m not on the sofa!! Didn’t manage to brave it today but hopefully get out in the coming week. 

Thanks all 👍🏻

11 hours ago, Wonkyshot said:

Yes that’s my thoughts exactly, I’ll certainly hit more clays when I’m not on the sofa!! Didn’t manage to brave it today but hopefully get out in the coming week. 

Thanks all 👍🏻

"Brave it" ??????

It was a lovely day, where does "brave it" come in to it?

On 20/09/2019 at 19:11, Wonkyshot said:

I have had instruction from some good shots whilst out on the grounds, and also a session at Eastern Sporting in the simulator, I just want to practice all of the things I have learned or discover where I need specific coaching. Sounds like the Fennes might be worth the extra effort..

I have read about JJ’s, it looks good but the website is very limited with info, I am busting to get out. I have heard some good things.

Thanks for the replies!!

Hawley is close to you as well

http://www.hawleycsg.co.uk/hawleycsg.co.uk/HOME.html

I've not shot Fennes, but have shot Dartford, JJs and Hawley, I find all 3 good grounds. Dartford can be very windy at times make for some challenging shooting. Not sure if the traps at Hawley are time delay programmable as when I shot there, there was a competition on and the traps had operators. Give them a ring, they may have staff that can operate the traps.

Edit - I've just looked on the website and there is a competition every Sunday so if you go on Sunday the traps will have operators. You can shoot it birds only and not enter.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I am not sure why anyone would want to programme in a delay before the trap went off. Just press the button, mount the gun and shoot.

Usually for the simple reason that as a novice they probably want to shoot with the gun pre-mounted and do not have sufficient time, knowledge or expertise to shoot so quickly!:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, London Best said:

But I see people doing it who have been shooting for years and years. Seems pointless to me.

Do you think it might just possibly be that they are still novices in that they have never learned to shoot gun down.

They enjoy their sport and are quite happy to go alone, pay for the clays, press the button and wait for the delay to expire and be presented by a target or two to shoot at?

Margeretting is an excellent venue and Ollie will put you in the right direction with your clay shooting, open every other Sunday and only half a mile off the A12.

Also has an excellent set up just outside of Onger at Fyfield , which is open Wednesday,Thursday, Friday.

£14.00 for 50 Sporting and all on an electronic counter, delayed or otherwise 🤫

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

When I started shooting clays - 1980 - most people shot gun down. Over the years, I have noticed many pre-mounting. I have noticed even more who say they shoot gun down, but shout pull and immediately shoulder the gun, without waiting for sight of the clays. Each to his / her own.

This. I always shot gun down as I thought that was how 'sporting' was shot. More and more I see people pre-mount the gun ( even the top end shooters in the circles in which I mix ) before calling for the bird. 

Nowadays, I job about between the methods. I pre-mount for going away 'trap' type targets ( primarily to give myself more time ) and shoot all others by mounting the gun just after calling pull, whether the bird has been launched or not. I still find myself often taking the gun out of my shoulder before presenting it to the on report bird. 

8 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I’m trying to do the conversion in my head to USD but 15 sounds really high for 50 clays.   Do you have park land that you can set a thrower up on? 

Err no, that would  be highly illegal.

Our parks can only be used for the encampment of caravans, 4 x 4 trucks, refuse collections and ponies, all with the best wishes of our local council’s.