Decisions decisions!!

Wonkyshot

8 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I’m trying to do the conversion in my head to USD but 15 sounds really high for 50 clays.   Do you have park land that you can set a thrower up on? 

A box of standard clays is around £14/15 per, 150 from my local rfd, I'm lucky enough to have a clay trap in the garden. 

The two closest clay grounds to me charge 30p + per clay, a little bit less if your a member. 

As Pigeon Shredder said, the use of parks and other open spaces isn't for the law abiding, especially if you have a gun 😂

37 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

A box of standard clays is around £14/15 per, 150 from my local rfd, I'm lucky enough to have a clay trap in the garden. 

The two closest clay grounds to me charge 30p + per clay, a little bit less if your a member. 

As Pigeon Shredder said, the use of parks and other open spaces isn't for the law abiding, especially if you have a gun 😂

I converted 15 to usd and now understand why you guys shoot so many birds.  At that price I’d dig clay out of the riverbank and pat out my own.  😂 

48 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Err no, that would  be highly illegal.

Our parks can only be used for the encampment of caravans, 4 x 4 trucks, refuse collections and ponies, all with the best wishes of our local council’s.

That sucks.  I figured you guys have like a million square miles of vacant land in Scotland. That would make so pretty awesome parkland for sportsmanship. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I converted 15 to usd and now understand why you guys shoot so many birds.  At that price I’d dig clay out of the riverbank and pat out my own.  😂 

That sucks.  I figured you guys have like a million square miles of vacant land in Scotland. That would make so pretty awesome parkland for sportsmanship. 

Lol yeah it's not the cheapest day out, if I take the missus, by the time you've added fuel and carts a mornings sporting has cost over £100.

12 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Lol yeah it's not the cheapest day out, if I take the missus, by the time you've added fuel and carts a mornings sporting has cost over £100.

I guess as long as you don’t do it every weekend it wouldn’t be to bad.  I have spent more on dumber stuff.  If I go to the clay field near the house it’s $3.75 USD for  for a round skeet (25 clays).  We have a new fancy place about a hour away and they have a deal that is 100 clays and lunch at the club house for $50.  I have not been to that one but lots of people say it’s really upscale. But I buy the champion brand clays( bottom quality) for $5.99 for 90 and we throw them behind the house.  You don’t get that club house feel and we don’t have anyone serving us drinks but we can shoot all day for what it would cost for a few rounds at the fancy place.  I might try the fancy place one day but they would probably laugh at me in my blue jeans and my cheapo shotgun.  

I guess as long as you don’t do it every weekend it wouldn’t be to bad.  I have spent more on dumber stuff.  If I go to the clay field near the house it’s $3.75 USD for  for a round skeet (25 clays).  We have a new fancy place about a hour away and they have a deal that is 100 clays and lunch at the club house for $50.  I have not been to that one but lots of people say it’s really upscale. But I buy the champion brand clays( bottom quality) for $5.99 for 90 and we throw them behind the house.  You don’t get that club house feel and we don’t have anyone serving us drinks but we can shoot all day for what it would cost for a few rounds at the fancy place.  I might try the fancy place one day but they would probably laugh at me in my blue jeans and my cheapo shotgun.  

Yeah I couldn't stretch to it every month but I do try to go every other if I can. That fancy place sounds like it's worth a visit, it is nice doing them in the garden except I've only got a single trap so have to be a bit patient between shots 😂

I wouldn't worry about what your wearing, plenty turn up to high lodge in matching caps a skeet vests and miss just as many as me in shorts, t shirt and a pair of boots 😂

9 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah I couldn't stretch to it every month but I do try to go every other if I can. That fancy place sounds like it's worth a visit, it is nice doing them in the garden except I've only got a single trap so have to be a bit patient between shots 😂

I wouldn't worry about what your wearing, plenty turn up to high lodge in matching caps a skeet vests and miss just as many as me in shorts, t shirt and a pair of boots 😂

Yea, throwing them out back is fun when you have friends.  But by yourself it gets pretty boring. 

Yea, throwing them out back is fun when you have friends.  But by yourself it gets pretty boring. 

I haven't mastered the art of the trap and gun at the same time yet.... 😉

Ive been off the shooting for so long now even a single clay in the back garden on my own would scratch the itch! 

On 22/09/2019 at 19:46, Pigeon Shredder. said:

,everyone has to start somewhere.

Spot on. I was at millride last week by myself and used the delay on two really fast horizontal crossing crossers, fired as a pair. Without delay I wouldn’t have had the time to even mount my gun before both clays hit the banking. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2019 at 18:33, Wonkyshot said:

🚨 *First post Alert* 🚨 

Good evening all,

I am a novice clay basher, I have shot a handful of times since being granted my SGC 2 years ago and I have always shot with my buddy who is a born and bred shooter. However he lives a way away and I want to get out and try to get into it a bit more. I have never shot alone but think I need to in order to get some practice in and my two options are Saturday’s at either Dartford or the Fennes. Dartford is 15mins drive Vs Fennes @ an hour away. I prefer to shoot sporting and I know both Dartford and Fennes have time delayed traps so both are available.

So, do I go Dartford at 15mins each way and £15 for 50 sporting, or Fennes at an hour each way and I don’t know the price? Would I be welcome as a lone, novice shooter at both and is Fennes worth the extra travel?

Would appreciate your advice??

outside of the shoot season, theres a group of us that shoot fennes most saturdays, you are more than welcome to join us. we are a mix of all levels from very novice to semi pro , and a great bunch  with lots of banter. drop me a pm if you would like to join us 

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2019 at 12:55, Jay_Russell said:

outside of the shoot season, theres a group of us that shoot fennes most saturdays, you are more than welcome to join us. we are a mix of all levels from very novice to semi pro , and a great bunch  with lots of banter. drop me a pm if you would like to join us 

Thanks Jay, very kind of you to offer. I managed to shoot at the Fennes today, bloody glorious day, the hour drive each way was a pain though. I’ll have to see how things pan out, but if ever I fancy it I’ll Message you. I did notice that with two of us today we burned through clays like there was no tomorrow 😮

thanks for the invite, very much appreciated 👍🏻

13 hours ago, Wonkyshot said:

Thanks Jay, very kind of you to offer. I managed to shoot at the Fennes today, bloody glorious day, the hour drive each way was a pain though. I’ll have to see how things pan out, but if ever I fancy it I’ll Message you. I did notice that with two of us today we burned through clays like there was no tomorrow 😮

thanks for the invite, very much appreciated 👍🏻

ha! yes you do need to pace your self or it can get expensive. but even as a group of 5 or 6 ive never managed to rack up a cost of more than 30 quid each which isnt bad for a mornings shooting.  and your welcome,  maybe see you soon :)