Chas Boswell Damascus Hammergun

Hammo

Hi all

Couple more pics.

Interesting comments, please don't let anyone think for one moment that any of you will offend me!

As I said in the original post, I thought long and hard before going ahead with the stock re-finish. the original bare wood butt of the stock was a bit beaten about, so we had to lose a little length to get back to a flat sound surface. I had the gun fitted to me, and that required a little more length. I specified the brick-red rubber butt pad, I like the look, the black spacer is a little agricultural, but Im ok with it. 

Overall I am thrilled, if you are not you can suck my balls. ( no offence intended )

I well remember many moons ago, my first shotgun at 15. An ancient Hillsdon and Hillsdon underlever hammer SBS. Not nitro proofed, but had hundreds of carts cycled through it all the same. Not advised, but thats how it was. I have wanted a nice one ever since, but thought a Damascus barrel one would be out of my reach. There are some bargains out there, but I hear that prices are rising again.

The engraving on this one is really nice, and even through 120 years of wear - the fine detail is captivating. I have sat just turning it over in my hands, and wondered at the craftsmanship. I am looking forward to the odd day of rough shooting, and a few forays at the crows. I will stick to around 1oz loads, although it has been proofed this year for the 70mm chambers, I don't want to push anything heavy through it. You will notice there is a 'ding' in the trigger guard still, must have been dropped by someone long ago.

That is a great looking gun and no doubt will be a joy to own and use.

If only it could talk, there would be a few tales it could tell of its adventures out in the field and the game etc. it brought to bag.

Many thanks for posting the photos.

OB

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Hi all

Couple more pics.

Interesting comments, please don't let anyone think for one moment that any of you will offend me!

As I said in the original post, I thought long and hard before going ahead with the stock re-finish. the original bare wood butt of the stock was a bit beaten about, so we had to lose a little length to get back to a flat sound surface. I had the gun fitted to me, and that required a little more length. I specified the brick-red rubber butt pad, I like the look, the black spacer is a little agricultural, but Im ok with it. 

Overall I am thrilled, if you are not you can suck my balls. ( no offence intended )

No offence taken, nice job that you’re well pleased with 😋

30 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

That is a great looking gun and no doubt will be a joy to own and use.

If only it could talk, there would be a few tales it could tell of its adventures out in the field and the game etc. it brought to bag.

Many thanks for posting the photos.

OB

I would love to know what it cost new, and what you could buy at the time for that money. I would imagine it was way beyond the means of the average shooter?

If anyone can help I'm all ears. 

No idea on the cost 

just a thought given that the guns a 100 plus years old 

and it took a hundred years to grow the tree for wood in the stock plus a few years seasoning 

imagine what history the wood could tell you 

planted in a time before cars and breech loading guns 

i wonder if when it was planted they thought it would still be about in 2019 😊

just a thought 

47 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I would love to know what it cost new, and what you could buy at the time for that money. I would imagine it was way beyond the means of the average shooter?

If anyone can help I'm all ears. 

I have a William Powell hammer gun made in 1871 on Damascus.  That cost £34 new if I remember right (figure from Powell's records).  It is pictured in the 18th post on page 5 of the Side by Side Club thread in this topic.  It cost 34 guineas in 1871 to the original owner complete with best case, tools, cartridges used at fitting etc.  Sadly I don't have the case or tools.

My guess is that yours would have been a similar(ish) price.  I'm not sure who (if anyone) has Boswell's records.

10 hours ago, Hammo said:

Hi all

Couple more pics.

Interesting comments, please don't let anyone think for one moment that any of you will offend me!. I specified the brick-red rubber butt pad, I like the look, the black spacer is a little agricultural, but Im ok with it. 

I posted my original remark because, on my computer, the red butt pad appears to be bright yellow!.......hence my comment. I have never seen a yellow butt pad.

For what my opinion is worth, the rest of the gun looks gorgeous. Enjoy it.

20 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a William Powell hammer gun made in 1871 on Damascus.  That cost £34 new if I remember right (figure from Powell's records).  It is pictured in the 18th post on page 5 of the Side by Side Club thread in this topic.  It cost 34 guineas in 1871 to the original owner complete with best case, tools, cartridges used at fitting etc.  Sadly I don't have the case or tools.

My guess is that yours would have been a similar(ish) price.  I'm not sure who (if anyone) has Boswell's records.

I think I read somewhere that Chris Batha owns the Boswell records.

Might be worth a try.

OB

On 24/09/2019 at 19:47, London Best said:

I posted my original remark because, on my computer, the red butt pad appears to be bright yellow!.......hence my comment. I have never seen a yellow butt pad.

For what my opinion is worth, the rest of the gun looks gorgeous. Enjoy it.

Same actually, on my phone it looks banana yellow. I could still live with it if it came with the rest of the gun. 

Yet to shoot an exposed hammer gun and that's a very actractive example

Edited by Mr.C
Thick thumbs