Tan leather

theboycalledleaf

Throughout my shooting career I've bought pretty much everything second hand. Chuffed to bits with some of my purchases.

However, as much as I like the design of my cartridge bag, it's a rather bright tan leather colour.

Any ideas how to tone this down?

I have a cartridge belt in an almost identical colour too.

Any assistance greatly received.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Buy a leather dye, the likes of which you can do your shoes with. Strip any finish off the leather with turpentine and have at it. 

Have a watch of YouTube videos on doing it. Even ones on doing a dyed patina on shoes, the process is the same.

Yes indeed, preparation is the key, it really is very easy and doesn't take too long.

I have small feet so often end up recolouring shoes as I cannot get the dark brogues I prefer.

7 hours ago, humperdingle said:

It would depend if the leather is ‘real’, and if it has any kind of coating on it (i.e. PU or wax etc).

Usually I use Fiebings oil leather dye on natural leather, which covers well and evenly.

Bang on the money 👍.

As is normal in these instances, my Mrs chucked a large box of leather dyes into the bin last week 😕

Thank you.

I have memories of a pair of tan school shoes that I loved, then hated a couple of weeks later.

My mum dyed them for me. Bless her, they looked awful. I had the Mickey taken out of me at school.

I'd hate a repeat performance.

I've applied dubbin to my bag, I assume that'll come of with turps?

59 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I must admit for small items I tend to use the Identity Store as they are only 5 miles away and I can see before buying ( and a better selection of buckles)

I have used them for some odds and end but they  don’t have  brass  buckles and fittings  for gun case straps and such.