Are there decent wellies out there

Dave at kelton

I wear wellies every day for walking the dogs and for out on the geese. General shooting I wear boots and gaiters. I have tried various types and makes of wellies and find they crack, split or perish after 6 months. I am not prepared to spend an arm and a leg but are there any that will last longer than that. I would add I have a pair of leather hunter royals but they aren’t waterproof any longer either. I have also tried looking for goretex military boot liners for the Royals but can’t find any.

Was thinking perhaps Muck Boots next?

I always used muck boots in the past, warm, comfortable and last well.......I would have no hesitation in recommending them! In fact, I have a virtually new pair, I have not worn for about four years.....only because having had ankle surgery I now need more support!....I also have a brand new, unworn pair of Le Chameau chasseur leather lined wellies that I can’t wear for the same reason. 😡

Have a look at:  sales@johnnorris.co.uk

Several makes currently reduced with a budget to suit most pockets.

I gave up buying cheap wellies a number of years ago. As others have noted, some were  hard on the feet or quickly sprung a leak within a few months as a result of thrashing through brambles. I never seemed to get a full year out of them before they ended up in the bin. I bought a pair of  Le Chameau chasseur about 5 years ago that are now starting to show their age and have a slight leak in one boot, but they are probably still good for another season. I got a back-up pair after seaching the web for a shade under £300. Seems a criminal price, but they seem to suit my feet and after a couple of outings are as comfy as a pair of good shoes. What with dog walking, picking-up & being out most Saturdays shooting I reckon after 5 to 6 years they were a good investment, I would probably have spent the same money on a series of cheap brands over the same period. 

Am a week into wearing my Le Chameau 'Vierzonord' wellies, which I picked up from Sportsman for £132...way more than I've ever paid for footwear (usually I'm shooting in my Dewalt Steelies...) but so far seem to be easy on the feet and not too warm.

My Missus has the Ariat version of the 'Dubarry' leather boots. which she absolutely loves, £200-odd last year.

Don't get the Go Outdoors neoprene alike thing, they were great till they sprung a leak, and the store manager refused to honour the warranty, two days after it expired. They were £48, but still.

13 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Have you looked at hoggs of fife? I havent worn them yet out in the field but like a pair of slippers soon as i put them on. Stay away from jack pyke lasted 6 month and split at the top of my feet on both. Only 70 quid off amazon and feel a lot better quality than a lot ov other wellies i have seen

Yep Jack Pykes are the latest failures 

2 hours ago, Jbob said:

I wear Dunlop purafoot wellies. Had mine for over 10 yrs now. Used for shooting, farm, dog walking and site when it's really wet (they are steel toe capped). Most comfortable boot I own. At £47 from mole valley you can't go wrong 

Aren’t they heavy though with the toe cap?Also I bought a pair of Chameau and they are like slippers in comparison to other generic wellies. Wear them all day and in a different league.

However after 10 years of relatively light use the rubber has perished so as noted in the above posts they have a shelf life.

On 22/09/2019 at 10:28, Yellow Bear said:

I have a pair of goodyear/grisport zip sided that have done 2 years of autumn/winter/spring daily wear. about £60

Plus one for the good years! Bought a pair of the neoprene lined ones a couple of years ago and put them through their paces over flint, mud, snow and brambles and they have never skipped a beat. Plus the grip has never let me down. Great value

I think it is all down to what you want them for. Now on shoot days I wear a pair of waterproof walking boots ankle height and accept I might get my legs wet. These I buy locally for around £35-£40.  For WORK in wet nasty conditions I have a pair of BOGGS which have the uppers in neoprene and after three years these are still like new.  I did purchase a pair of expensive wellies and they split within weeks and turned a funny shade of yellow, my wife also had a similar pair at the same time and they went the same way.  I approached Seeland in a pleasant friendly way and got a solicitor type letter in reply, so that company no longer exists for me.   I think some of the crazy prices for footwear are for the birds but you spends your money as you wish. 

Edited by Walker570