Are there decent wellies out there

Dave at kelton

11 hours ago, hwr said:

Aren’t they heavy though with the toe cap?Also I bought a pair of Chameau and they are like slippers in comparison to other generic wellies. Wear them all day and in a different league.

However after 10 years of relatively light use the rubber has perished so as noted in the above posts they have a shelf life.

I can't say I've noticed the weight. I think for a steel toe cap they are light compared to my normal site boot. I have walked miles in them and they are like walking in trainers to me. Dunlop do a non toe capped version of the purafoot but if mine fail I'll get another toe capped pair.

Edited by Jbob
Typo

I have had expensive wellies in the past.Now I dont go shooting as often as I used to I was in the market for a mid range pair.

I used to always use hunters or royal hunters in the 80's when they were quality.

I was in a trespass outlet yesterday and found a pair of their own brand reduced from £60.00 to £18.00 only 1 pair and they were my size.They are proper rubber I will report back as to how they perform.

At 18 quid if I get a year out of them it'll be ok.

Had Le Chameau's but found last few pairs quality was getting poorer and poorer. 

I have a pair of green Dunlop Purafors , big huge chunky sole and steel toe cap. I have worn them at work hiking over clearfell sites and along deer fences and over mountains and they are genuinely brilliant. Think they were £70  quid , wear them walking the dogs , beating and wildfowling and they have never given me cold feet . 

They are a countrymile better than Le Chameau .

mrs has agile paracours and says they are way better than Le Chameau.

• 3 weeks later...

A new pair of muck boots every year for four years and a pair of muck boot garden shoes every year for four years. I really should keep receipts. They all split across the toe on the right foot when driving. Warm and comfy but poor grip on wet limestone. 

Now I am trying some Aigles. All good after 12 months 👍

I spoke to the owner at a "country store" recently and he said avoid chams as they've moved production to Morocco and the quality has plummeted. He said Aigles are the only way to go but everyone has their favourites.   

A friend of mine bought Solognac wellies from decathlon and swears by them

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 08:47, Salmo said:

Le chams I’m averaging 5 years out a pair £1 a week 

bought le chams  25 yrs ago £110   only use them in the shooting season  shooting taking the dog a walk on the sea wall  and beating  6 to 8 times a season also odd day pigeon shooting still good however in the last few years have known quite a few others  not even get a season out of them splitting / delaminating etc  as changed supplier  built up a good name went cheap as designer item lost no end of repeat trade      bought my lad some bison boots 5 yrs ago  still ok for £30  like muck boots       or a bit more  ( argyles 👍 next pair for me )

On 22/09/2019 at 08:59, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go to Aldi, they regularly have their Muck-Boot copy for about £20, we've been using them for years.

When they give up you just get the other pair from the garage.

Then buy another pair when they are in again.

Took 3 pairs in a row back last year, as they all split in same place within a few days.