PB

Jacko3275

Well the week started with a text from Jdog asking if I would be in the area at the weekend I told him I was working all weekend but would still make the trip for a day out in the field with him as it had been a while... So Saturday I arrived at his home around 1 o’clock where we loaded all his kit and his  +1 jasper the dog as we set off Jdog informed me that we had  2 options , option 1) two cultivated bean stubbles which he told me looked the most promising in the week and option 2) 4 cultivated wheat fields drilled with rape ( think I have got this correct)...when we got to the bean fields Jdog told the  farmer 👩‍🌾  has  cultivated them a second time since his visit in the week meaning the left over beans had been dug in deeper this was evident as we drove round there was no birds feeding just some in the trees so off we went to option 2 as we arrived I was told this may be hard to decoy has the bird had 4 fields to choose from anyway after some deliberation we pick a place that would give us a chance and also give us the most shade from the hot September sun... we set up 2 hides  with a pattern in front of each and with in 15 mins bagged 4  not easy as they weren’t committing to the decoys  so out for a quick shuffle of the patterns and contemplating put a magnet out (but didn’t) the birds started to get a little closer and a hell of a lot more often they where from behind in front left right there where times I couldn’t reload before  the next lot came in it was manic Jdog had by far the shot of the day with a 50yard high 60 yard out crosser which he folded ... the bag could have been massive if I hadn’t had a doggy batch of carts where I’m sure they forgot to load the lead shot in them..by the end of the day I was forced to used the new 410 which I took a couple of birds with as I was out of carts and jdog only had 5 left we packed up after 3 hour with a bag of 52 picked and we reckon 10 we couldn’t find even with the help of jasper ... they cart to bird ratio on my part was mmm mmm to mmm  ( sorry if I mumbled) but I’m only a novice and this was like a red letter day for me an excellent few hours shooting followed by a couple of pints a dinner and some good conversation with good man that is Jdog thank you 

97904B79-A733-451E-A20B-40316A0FEB55.jpeg

Realistically there was only one option and that was the bean stubble, but no beans on top means no pigeons. This wheat stubble was a lucky find. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

There are still no pigeons on the Wolds. This was North Lincolnshire on the flat lands.

Pictures Robinsons 1.jpg

Pictures Robinsons 2.jpg

Edited by JDog

2 hours ago, motty said:

Excellent report of a great day. Keep practicing and you will become more proficient with the shotgun.

Ps, always take more cartridges than you think you'll need!

Always take more cartridges than JDog. He WILL run out! 

Well done, nice report and a little bit more learned about this fantastic sport.

Well jacko, that was a good write up.

Hats off to jdog taking you along with him. Good day out and good bird count.

Good luck with the shot count, i aint digweed myself i cant hit an elephants but with a bazooka some days.

You will think you have it one day and the next you feel like throwing your gun at them but still being out with a pal or even on your own is better than a playstation