Car Creepers?

clumber

I'm looking at buying a creeper as I'm tired of lying on a board under the motor. Anyone have any experience with them? 

Are the moulded plastic jobs better or worse than the padded types?  Are they worth it? 

Not bothered about a named brand or bells and whistles just something that does what it says on the tin and is good value. 

Regards,  C.

I've got an el-cheapo padded one.  Needs a good garage floor to work smoothly.  It also converts to a stool, which I use more for doing, e.g. brakes.  Honestly, these days I prefer to use a carpet offcut to lie underneath the car..  Though, I'm usually working on Land Rovers, which have decent ground clearance so I can use the carpet and not have to jack it up*.

*Goes without saying, but nevertheless....Use axle stands....always!!

21 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I've got an el-cheapo padded one.  Needs a good garage floor to work smoothly.  It also converts to a stool, which I use more for doing, e.g. brakes.  Honestly, these days I prefer to use a carpet offcut to lie underneath the car..  Though, I'm usually working on Land Rovers, which have decent ground clearance so I can use the carpet and not have to jack it up*.

*Goes without saying, but nevertheless....Use axle stands....always!!

Carpet or creeper, If I were to get under a motor now, it would take me forever to get back up! 👎

Every one I have seen was just a bit too flimsy, but the padded type seemed easier to work on.  As has been said - you need a very smooth surface to work on - I can't fit a car in my garage and my drive isn't smooth enough. I use one of the Gym mats from Aldi - works fine.

panoma1 - I know that feeling. I keep a seat / box next to where i am working - just to provide somewhere to rest my hand on, when getting up.

I did think or making a car creeper with rollers or larger wheels. The ones I have seen have always had very small wheels / castors, which tend to easily stick on a rough surface.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have always used saved cardboard boxes flattened and thrown away when dirty or wet.

excactly what i use/used..........they are nice and slippy..................gud call dave.....................................im orn my 2nd glass as wd spake........:ernyha:

4 hours ago, clumber said:

Cheers all for your replies. 

Never occurred to me to use cardboard, could be the best thing britpart have put their name to and save me a few quid. 👍

its nice and slippy..............i often did a bit of break dancing under the old landy..........

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:43, SpringDon said:

I use an sgs creeper. They only really work on smooth floor due to the small wheels. 

+1 its all down to the rubbish little plastic wheels on the ones you buy from Halfords and the like. Buy some HD decent wheels and a bit of 18mm ply and make your own

1 hour ago, gdadphil said:

That's the one I've got, as mentioned the 'seat mode' gets more use than 'creeper mode'.

• 1 month later...