If Labour get in power......

harrycatcat1

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labour's employment proposals include:

Creating a Ministry for Employment Rights, tasked with overseeing "the biggest extension of rights for workers that our country has ever seen", in relation both to individual and collective rights at work;  

- Introducing sectoral collective bargaining to negotiate minimum terms on pay, working hours, and recruitment and grievance processes, which would be applicable on a sector-wide basis;  
- Extending trade union rights, including by repealing the Trade Union Act 2016 "in its entirety";  
- Removing the current distinction between employees and workers when determining employment rights;  
- Giving all workers the right to request flexible working and placing a duty on employers to accommodate requests; and  
- Banning unpaid internships and zero hour contracts.

Let's hope enough voters remember the 70s. 

17 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Labour's employment proposals include:

Creating a Ministry for Employment Rights, tasked with overseeing "the biggest extension of rights for workers that our country has ever seen", in relation both to individual and collective rights at work;  

- Introducing sectoral collective bargaining to negotiate minimum terms on pay, working hours, and recruitment and grievance processes, which would be applicable on a sector-wide basis;  
- Extending trade union rights, including by repealing the Trade Union Act 2016 "in its entirety";  
- Removing the current distinction between employees and workers when determining employment rights;  
- Giving all workers the right to request flexible working and placing a duty on employers to accommodate requests; and  
- Banning unpaid internships and zero hour contracts.

Let's hope enough voters remember the 70s. 

Don't panic, the electorate age spectrum is such that these folk will be the majority of the voters.

Just one teensey weensey little problem though - it was this lot that got us into the EEC to start with.

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

Don't panic, the electorate age spectrum is such that these folk will be the majority of the voters.

Just one teensey weensey little problem though - it was this lot that got us into the EEC to start with.

It was not the voters who put us in. It was Ted heath who dragged us in. And to be honest as a purely trading partnership was a good model. However what we now find ourselves with is a far cry from that. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

It was not the voters who put us in. It was Ted heath who dragged us in. And to be honest as a purely trading partnership was a good model. However what we now find ourselves with is a far cry from that. 

Are you saying that history could well be repeating itself? In as much as if we had voted differently back in '75 we'd have gone in anyway. If so, I agree with you entirely. Not too sure about a good model though as I'd just come back from nigh on 4 years in Europe and had worked on a German farm and also seen the Belgian and French efforts so voted accordingly it being patently obvious what was going to happen.

12 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

hello, very true mick, as a prime minister though:rolleyes:

Labour are in a reasonable position at the moment (should they get into power). They can promise what they like, block Brexit, then blame the EU when none of what they promised comes to pass, blaming the Remainers for affecting the working class.

The EU are staunchly anti-privatisation, so at least half of Lab's plans will fall flat fairly quickly should their preferred scenario come to pass. They'd embed us even deeper into the bloc, just to avoid any chance of finger pointing or reprisal

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting to see Dame Margaret Hodge MP who has repeatedly criticised Jeremy Corbyn will be deselected at the next General Election.

Democracy at its very worst!

Part of the trouble here is disinterest; apparently she needed to get 66% 'approval' not to be opposed.  The vote for her was about 52% I believe ........ on a turnout of only 15%.

When there is such a low turnout, well organised activists can easily override the 'silent' majority.

I read today that Labour's plans (the tiny £1 trillion giveaway not forgetting a 4 day week and unlimited workers rights to do as they please and sod their employer whose company will no doubt fold) will cost £45 million per minute. 

The unions will no doubt be strengthened, the pay will go up, productivity will go down and the madness won't end. Lets not forget the uncontrolled immigration policy that was quietly mentioned and approved as well. 

Honestly its madness, completely bonkers. I bet they get in too. 

Vote Tory and you condemn the country to years of poverty, probable break up of the Union and the country split down the middle. Its a carp choice whichever way you look.

Even the SNP starts to look attractive. 🙂 At least Scotland's proportional voting system avoids the worst of the extremists. Why are Scotland leaving the UK behind?

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

Vote Tory and you condemn the country to years of poverty, probable break up of the Union and the country split down the middle. Its a carp choice whichever way you look.

Even the SNP starts to look attractive. 🙂 At least Scotland's proportional voting system avoids the worst of the extremists. Why are Scotland leaving the UK behind?

Scotland could never afford to leave the rest of the uk . The SNP are anti English full stop . They are dreaming of freedom . And sod the cost .

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Errr what party put us where we were when they voted in? 

Are you in poverty!? What do you call poverty!? Food Bank but pick up the tins in your BMW?? 

What party put us where when they voted in???

Food bank numbers and use are at record levels. 14.3 m in poverty in the UK thats about 20% ish.

Govts own figures are 11%. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Oh please! For crying out loud! 😀

Yep its bad whichever way you look. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Tell that to those in poverty. 

😀 And of course levels of poverty are going to improve with remaining in the EU aren’t they? Give us a break! 

There were food banks in the UK long before we voted to leave, and numbers increased during the last recession, when in fact we were still members of the EU if I recall. 

All this emotive faux compassion for your fellow man isn’t really cutting it I’m afraid; you’re concerned about your pension and nothing more. 

5 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

When they were*

And sorry but I see bmws pull up at banks, and they are 18 plates.. 

No problem then 😖

It cant be right that a country with our wealth still has so many in poverty, such poor levels of educational attainment, a housing crisis, a poorly funded NHS, a care system crumbling at the seams and the same old party politics moving further to each extreme. We have Corbyn turning into Marx (or whatever the correct red lable is) and the Tories in complete denial with an I'm all right sod the rest mentality. The country is going to pot we need something new politics not the same old same old do, nothing whilst we go rotten from the inside out. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 And of course levels of poverty are going to improve with remaining in the EU aren’t they? Give us a break! 

There were food banks in the UK long before we voted to leave, and numbers increased during the last recession, when in fact we were still members of the EU if I recall. 

All this emotive faux compassion for your fellow man isn’t really cutting it I’m afraid; you’re concerned about your pension and nothing more. 

My pension :lol:.

9 minutes ago, oowee said:

Tell that to those in poverty. 

This country has a tiny amount of people living in poverty. Most of those who claim to be are there because they want to be. Poverty is not being able to afford the full sky package. Or have the latest iPhone. Laptop etc. There are lots sleeping on the streets we have them in boston. Sitting there all day smoking and drinking their cans of red bull with their dog alongside them. They choose to be on the street there are lots of vacancies around here maybe minimum wage but along with that they would get help through the benefit system. Give them a few pounds and they buy fags or cans give them food they give it to the dog. Give them a list of companies hiring unskilled people they throw it. 

dont get me started on food banks........if folk stopped......

1. buying everything on credit 
  2. fridges
  3. freezers
  4. cookers
  5. carpets
  6. beds
  7. televisions
  8. microwaves
  9. mobile phone contracts
  10. sky TV
  11. car
  12. computor connection

et al on and on and on

they would be £100's of pounds better off /mth.........there is very rarely i by anything new....i have free view and spend £3.00/mth on my mobile phone which cost me new £14.99

cut your cloth acc' to your needs..

Just now, bostonmick said:

This country has a tiny amount of people living in poverty. Most of those who claim to be are there because they want to be. Poverty is not being able to afford the full sky package. Or have the latest iPhone. Laptop etc. There are lots sleeping on the streets we have them in boston. Sitting there all day smoking and drinking their cans of red bull with their dog alongside them. They choose to be on the street there are lots of vacancies around here maybe minimum wage but along with that they would get help through the benefit system. Give them a few pounds and they buy fags or cans give them food they give it to the dog. Give them a list of companies hiring unskilled people they throw it. 

Just 11m according to the Governments figures.