Greta Thunberg

andrewluke

17 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

yes

If it were put to a national referendum about it , then maybe they would not want it, but its nice o be asked.

I sort of meant you could put it to individual areas/estates , if there was a financial incentive (cheaper heating) they could possibly forgo the fear factor in certain areas.
An area of central Nottingham has 'free' hot water powered by an incinerator , no one seems to mind.

25 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Student help - Copy.jpg

+++ HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS DETECTED ++++ CALL THE POLICE ++ CALL MUM AND DAD +++ FIND SAFE SPACE ++++

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have little idea why the climate is changing (natural or man made ), but watching that young girl made me feel very uncomfortable, she clearly has a troubled mind . She acted as though she was scared to say the wrong thing .

I'm sure pw will have a qualified phycologist or psychiatrist that can give a professional opinion on her behaviour, because it certainly wasn't the behaviour of a normal 16 yr old girl.

With a few exceptions, I think it is a shame that people are focusing on the individual, rather than the points she is making. Regardless of your views, she is raising the profile of the issue, and whilst I don't agree with some of the things or some of the people she associates with. I think it is very important that it is on the radar.

It is all too easily swept under the carpet for a future generation to deal with, and carry on regardless. I don't think there are many absolute climate change deniers on here, but it is unpopular to challenge the status quo, especially if it means telling people things they don't want to hear.

With a few exceptions, I think it is a shame that people are focusing on the individual, rather than the points she is making. 

You have a point, but she is being used because she gets more publicity than her parents would. If she were older, I would say that she put herself up there and deserved the flak, but she seems a troubled youngster. If she was my granddaughter, I would be more than a little upset with her parents.

As for her message - she isn't really inviting discussion, but lecturing the wrong people. Are India and China getting her message? I suspect they will not listen. She makes a point of avoiding air travel, but the crew for her yacht fly across the ocean to recover it. She has had a her 15 minutes of fame. I trust that the rest of her life will be happier.

As another poster pointed out, a good read about the family is hair raising. (Take a look at her sister!!)

This is expolitation of a child. They dress her up like a cross between pippi longstocking and the creepy Wednesday Addams just to pull at the heart strings of the gullable. She is their meal ticket. I hope when all this blows up in their faces the parents are rightly vilified.

The rainforests are 'the lungs of the world' (hope I've got that correct...but you know what I mean!)...so will Greta be planning to lecture the likes of Indonesia and Brazil regarding the destruction/ razing of their rainforests, in order to plant palm oil trees.  Too many bribes to government officials in these countries to be able to do anything.   

8 hours ago, SPARKIE said:

I suspect she will top herself or be in a loonie asylum before she's 18

at the end of the day she is a child in any other environment , social services would be involved  , child exploitation /manipulation  as she is being exploited by some very manipulative people,  I fear for her wellbeing  going forward  ( how come they are targeting affluent country's to  make changes ,  while third world country's are the biggest pollutants and would probably tell them to go forth ) at the end of the day she is a miss informed child ,   as many others are,  as witnessed on local news re schools in Birmingham blocking off cul-de-sacs for  safety reasons ,     the little winkles said the air was better at school as only 200yrs from main road where their parents  pulled up and dropped kids off  (teachers should teach and  not manipulate or at least research their facts before manipulating young minds ) 

all said and done Greta is a child being manipulated  and will be discarded when of no use 

9 hours ago, Saltings said:

I fear for her wellbeing  going forward  ( how come they are targeting affluent country's to  make changes ,  while third world country's are the biggest pollutants and would probably tell them to go forth ) at the end of the day she is a miss informed child ,   as many others are

I think you are the one who is misinformed.

12 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

The rainforests are 'the lungs of the world' (hope I've got that correct...but you know what I mean!)...so will Greta be planning to lecture the likes of Indonesia and Brazil regarding the destruction/ razing of their rainforests, in order to plant palm oil trees.  Too many bribes to government officials in these countries to be able to do anything.   

13 hours ago, simonm said:

She could go to Saudi and lecture them about oil too

14 hours ago, Konnie said:

Just a thought if she feels so very strongly about climate change, her next stop will be China and preach to them about building coal power stations etc.

15 hours ago, Gordon R said:

As for her message - she isn't really inviting discussion, but lecturing the wrong people. Are India and China getting her message? I suspect they will not listen. 

You do all realise that this is a United Nations conference right? That means all nations of the UN could be there, which is essentially every nation in the world. I hardly think that is cherry picking! You're all absolutely right it is a global issue, but if the biggest and wealthiest don't address their pollution, where is the leadership to set an example and a roadmap for the whole world to follow. And lets be clear it is the wealthiest countries that have by far the largest CO2 emissions.  A few years ago Obama and the US signed up to initiatives, but Trump has ripped them up, without providing an alternative. Now who is the puppet?

A mate of mine used to Tour Manage small/medium bands and I see some parallels with Greta Thunberg.

After a few months touring bands would go a bit "loopy"They are  constantly  the center of attention and everyones efforts, nobody dares to upset/offend or even have a different opinion to them. They are The Product and if they don't perform nobody earns.

They develop this Messianic belief that they are always right, it's interesting to watch with vain 21 year olds less so with vulnerable children.

For an example of fun to watch the members of a Canadian band (that sunk without a trace) had become completely insufferable. Of course by the end of the tour they were no longer valuable Product just irritating vain Millennials who all believed they were the most talented and interesting people in all history, because that is what they had been constantly told for 2 months.

They finally fell out with each other in the hotel bar and started fighting, we watched them rolling round the floor for 10 minutes, whilst quietly supping pints and commentating on the fact years of playing video games dosen't equip you to throw a decent punch.