270 Winchester Thoughts ??

Gerry78

I’m sure this has been debated before so hear goes my friend who I lamp foxes with has decided to do the DSC 1 this year for a deer stalking rifle I will probably follow him next year Now most of the stalkers we know use 308s and don’t rate 270 much Don’t shout we’re novice when it comes to deer 🦌 calibresThe species hel be shooting and hopefully as I say me to follow will be Reds Any thoughts from the more experience stalkers on forum he’s been reading up on calibres and has he’s heart on 270

I used a .270 for many years on all British deer . The round is very hard hitting and accurate and the 130 grain bullet is more than a match for all uk and European deer ,It’s also good on wild boar and large antelope. The .270 has a bit of a bark to it especially at first light in woodland . The .270 hits harder than the .308 bit has less choice of bullet weights , having said that the 130 grain bullet will kill just about any thing you would want to hunt . I have seen big moose bulls killed instantly in Canada with the 270 . 

My latter days stalking were done with a .308 . I would not think twice about using .270 again ,fabulous stalking round . Incidently I have shot a lot of Fox’s with the .270 as my brief was to shoot a fox before a deer .

harnser 

.270 is a very good calibre . it is a necked down .30-06. nothing wrong with it at all. Its a bit old fashioned now, it was a big cult calibre in its day. Ammo may be a bit harder to find. That's about all really.

On the plus side some good cheap rifles because its a bit off the popular spectrum but that's extremely  good news for you as a buyer

3 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

... I like to be different lol 😆 same as my foxing calibres most fellas I lamp with have 223 I went for 222 glad I did very accurate wee rifle ....

Good man, an excellent choice I loved mine. I don`t know about the 270 but 140gn from a 6.5x55 drops reds, roe and fallow, enjoy the course!

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanks Lads when I do my DSC1 il probably go for the 270 Winchester myself I like to be different lol 😆 same as my foxing calibres most fellas I lamp with have 223 I went for 222 glad I did very accurate wee rifle Is 130 grain the biggest bullet weight in 270 ????

I used to load my own ammo and stuck to 130 grain bullet . If my memory serves me correctly you can get 140 and 150 grain bullets although the 130 grain bullet is the most popular with stalkers . With the 130 grain bullet you are as close to a magnum calibre as you can be . Devastating round that will not let you down . Oh, 100 grain bullets available as well .

harnser

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

270...130g  max out at 3100fps....2774ftlb at mz.      308....  130g max out at 3000fps ..... 2997ftlb at mz. 

Which did you say hits harder ?

308Win any day for me.

You are obviously looking at a different ballistics chart than me . My chart gives the  130 grain .270 at 2702fps at the muzzle and the 168 grain 308 bullet at the muzzle at 2700 fps . The 125 grain bullet from the .308 shows 2668 at the muzzle . I still say the .270 hits harder .

harnser

The deer will not even notice the difference. The 308 Win is heads and shoulders above as an all round cartridge than the 270-Win.

Hornady  5th Edition Manual page 337  lists 130gr out of a 308Win at 3000fps   Vol 2 5th Edition list .30 bullet at 3000fps giving 2997ftlb at mz.

Was shooting upwards of fifty fallow a year back in the early 80s with a 308 Win and 125 and 130gr bullets and never had a complaint from the customers.

Difficult to put a 168 gr bullet in a 270Win. ?????

Edited by Walker570

Thanks walker570 for the replies I’m not really worried about ballistics I just want opinion on 270 win as all round calibre for deer I’m sure 270 v 308 debates has raged for years To add another angle was talking to a gun dealer regarding rifles he said 6x5x55 gaining popularity lol but that’s a different debate thanks again Lads 👍👍

33 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Ahh but that’s what forums are for London Best to discuss and analysis, but not so with yourself, the only thing you seem to come across with is derogatory comments about everyone and everything that you haven’t got or haven’t done.

Try joining Mumsnet, you’ll be well at home.

i went on mumsnet once to ask a couple of questions..............i would have been better off throwing myself headfirst into a shredding machine,,..............

9 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Ahh but that’s what forums are for London Best to discuss and analysis, but not so with yourself, the only thing you seem to come across with is derogatory comments about everyone and everything that you haven’t got or haven’t done.

Try joining Mumsnet, you’ll be well at home.

Pigeon Shredder, I don’t come on this forum to argue with you or anyone else, but , like everyone else, I am entitled to an opinion. I am not sure exactly what your problem is with me but you seem to respond to my every post just to try and pick an argument. Can you please explain what was derogatory about my comment on rifle calibres?  It was short, to the point and very true.

13 hours ago, London Best said:

More **** talked about rifle calibres than football! They all work, I wouldn’t want any of them through my ribs!

With help from Piggin Shredder, I’ll try a different approach. If you fancy a .270, buy a .270. There is nothing wrong with them or most other calibres, but not every shop will stock ammo for them today. All calibres work and all will kill deer. The secret is putting the bullet in the right place (ask me how I know).

40 minutes ago, London Best said:

With help from Piggin Shredder, I’ll try a different approach. If you fancy a .270, buy a .270. There is nothing wrong with them or most other calibres, but not every shop will stock ammo for them today. All calibres work and all will kill deer. The secret is putting the bullet in the right place (ask me how I know).

How do you know?