270 Winchester Thoughts ??

Gerry78

Lol London best yes between wildfowling fly fishing foxing the missus will be happy 😃 thanks for the posts Don’t want start another big debate is it true the 243 can’t be used for reds the gun dealer told me some estates in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 don’t let u use that calibre Just another bit information I’d like clarifyed 

19 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Both are very good rounds but the 270 would be my choice.

They was very popular for plains game in Africa and for good reason.

Deer size animals relatively close, 308 takes some beating. Deer size animals over long and varying distance 270 every day.

Sensible post. 

But the difference in trajectory over 200 yds is maybe an inch or so. I consider that to be a normal sporting maximum. It is called deer ‘stalking’ after all.

.308 man myself, but not biased over calibres.

True, some estates do not like visiting stalkers to use .243, but many professional highland stalkers use it.

I believe ?? at one time in N. Ireland the only cal. allowed for deer was .22-250

33 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sensible post. 

But the difference in trajectory over 200 yds is maybe an inch or so. I consider that to be a normal sporting maximum. It is called deer ‘stalking’ after all.

.308 man myself, but not biased over calibres.

True, some estates do not like visiting stalkers to use .243, but many professional highland stalkers use it.

I believe ?? at one time in N. Ireland the only cal. allowed for deer was .22-250

Anything above 243 in Northern Ireland is legal for deer hence having to do the DSC1I know you can use 222/223/22-250 for roe deer in Scotland To stop all arguments il just go for 270win better being safe than sorry cheers lads 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gerry 78,

Used a 270 for years, shot Fallow, Reds, Sika, Roe and Wild Boar and foxes, the furthest was a Roe doe at @ 325 yards, nearest was also a Roe doe at 40 yards or so. no problem with any of them, used 130 grains, this is what the 270 was originally created for by the way. If set up properly they are amazingly accurate and as for the recoil stick a mod on and as said previously they are a pussycat.  I sold mine to a member on here who uses it regularly still, I now have a 6.5 cm as I want to do long range shooting as well as stalking, that is the only reason I sold mine. Just go for it you will not be disappointed.

Regards scobydog

On 20/10/2019 at 10:29, MAB1954 said:

You will be fine with a 270, look around and get a bargain it's out of fashion right now bit like sxs shotguns. I use both with no issues.

Thanks I also use s/s for wildfowling so plenty of bargains out there for deer rifles 👍👍

If you want a .270 you get one, to be fair I I use neither .270 or .308 but 30-06 I like it, I use 123grn for general use and 150 for anything a bit larger up to 240grn for Swedish Moose. . I took up stalking since I retired some four years ago it is incredibly infectious and enjoyable, I prefer it to shotgun shooting, enjoy what ever you choose, you are long time dead