Your personal carbon balance sheet

JohnfromUK

Rather than go 'off topic' on one of the other Climate/Greta/environmental threads, I have started a new one - about estimating personal 'carbon balance sheet'.  This came about because I was under the impression that I was quite 'good' on carbon - and at the time the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were being taken to task for using private planes and 'purchasing' (or it seems Elton John purchasing on their behalf) carbon offset.  So I decided to look at my own 'carbon signature'.

On the balance sheet - there are two sides; carbon release (to CO2) from usage of fuels, etc. and carbon capture from plants 'fixing' carbon back in solid carbon.

Release  I based my figures as follows with energy usage releasing carbon (based on UK) as below;

Petrol, per gallon = 3 Kg carbon
Diesel, per gallon = 3 Kg carbon
Gas, per KWh = 0.2 Kg CO2 = 0.06 Kg carbon
Electricity, per KWh = 0.04 Kg carbon (low because in the UK only a small portion of electricity generation is from burning carbon).

For me personally I 'release' about 1750 Kg per year based on mileage and travel.  If I was to fly (which I don't) I would use say about 1000 Kg for a return flight to New York from the UK.

I was not able to estimate carbon usage from new goods (cars, white goods, shotguns(!), etc.), but a loose guess for me is that it might be around 500 - 1000 Kg annually.

Therefore my own annual total 'release' is probably around 2500 Kg.  I read that the UK average is about 3000 Kg per person per year.

Capture  I am fortunate to own a little woodland and grazing.  This (other than my garden) is my only carbon capture and the figures are as follows.

Per acre wood = 2500 Kg carbon
Per acre grass = 1000 Kg carbon

On this basis I capture about 70,000 Kg per year, so feel I can sleep at night!

Based on the UK average per person, it isn't a great leap to conclude that very roughly every person in the UK needs about 2 acres to capture their carbon.  On this basis, the UK at about 60 million acres could support a population (carbon neutrally) of sy 30 million people - about half the current population.

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

I sleep at night regardless of my personal carbon footprint. This is just the latest claptrap being spouted.

If any want to help buy local walk more plant trees. 

I'm more concerned with oxygen theives.

In  a way, I don't disagree - but I was interested to see what sort of figures were involved, so spent part of a rainy afternoon on Google etc.  I suppose I should own up to being a little smuggly pleased with the answer, though that was not the original aim!

Agree totally on buy more local produce, walk more and plant more trees.

Edited by JohnfromUK

You can only do your own bit, safe in the knowledge that few others will follow your example and your efforts will mean zero in the overall scheme of things. 

My own view is that these halfwit climate control protesters add to the problem rather than doing anything whatsoever of a practical nature. Blocking up traffic, jetting around the World to impose their "message" - just self indulgent idiots.

Just now, Gordon R said:

My own view is that these halfwit climate control protesters add to the problem rather than doing anything whatsoever of a practical nature. Blocking up traffic, jetting around the World to impose their "message" - just self indulgent idiots.

100% agree

15 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

You can only do your own bit, safe in the knowledge that few others will follow your example and your efforts will mean zero in the overall scheme of things. 

That in particular does them no favours and wins them no converts, it simply ****** off people in the cue whilst they generate far more carbon from their cars ticking over!!!

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have to admit I’m totally indifferent to discovering what my carbon footprint is.

I’ll do my bit if and when I can, but primarily I’m here to live.

I couldn't agree more and in any event, the calculations will be heavily weighted towards exaggeration to suit the purposes of the hippy lobby. I'm too old to consider living in a mud hut, eating vegan carp, freezing and miserable. So I'll copy many PW members by walking when practical to do so, buying locally (again, where feasible). B*ggered if I'm giving up meat though!!

43 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

I couldn't agree more and in any event, the calculations will be heavily weighted towards exaggeration to suit the purposes of the hippy lobby. I'm too old to consider living in a mud hut, eating vegan carp, freezing and miserable. So I'll copy many PW members by walking when practical to do so, buying locally (again, where feasible). B*ggered if I'm giving up meat though!!

I’m pretty sure that eating vegan carp doesn’t actually qualify as a vegan diet. Sorry.

I'll use this to beseech the local council to give me 2 acres of land they're not using, to help offset my carbon footprint :)

Jokes aside, it would be interesting to see what Impact we could have if we were given parcels of land that were used and abused, and asked/allowed to re-wild them as well as we could.

3 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Does this cover meat pies as well.

Now come on, you know me , of course it covers meat pies😆.

6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Could you convert 200 please and we can both eat steak 

as for carbon I contribute loads on a daily level in fact every time I cook something 😊😊

I reckon that over the years , I've probably talked nearly 100 people in to getting a sgc , convincing 200 people to stop eating meat should be relatively easy. 

I reckon just getting lin to stop burning my toast every day would probably see me covered 😆

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

On this basis I capture about 70,000 Kg per year, so feel I can sleep at night!

Your calculations warm my heart. Based on your calculations, I capture far, far in excess of carbon release. So much so that I can save the sweat and tears of using logs in my multi fuel burners and switch to silage wrap. Now all I need to do is calculate the KWh output of a ton of wrap.

58 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Your calculations warm my heart. Based on your calculations, I capture far, far in excess of carbon release. So much so that I can save the sweat and tears of using logs in my multi fuel burners and switch to silage wrap. Now all I need to do is calculate the KWh output of a ton of wrap.

A man after my own heart 😆👍.

My personal carbon footprint is almost certainly massive. At least 4 long-haul flights a year, a 4 bedroom apartment that's kept at  under 24C  when it's up to 50C outside -  including when I'm not here (as per the housing rules), an old 4.2 litre straight 6 petrol SUV that I use like a bicycle. 

On the plus side I don't eat much red meat these days - hardly any when I'm away from the family. :)

Edited by Retsdon

The problem is that most people can't do a lot about their carbo foot print. I would think my single biggest thing is travel to work 20 mile round trip plus other travel about 1200 kg, I could get a smaller car but that wouldn't tow a trailer and I cant afford an electric pickup and no one sells one anyway, public transport is out because its an hour and 51 minutes trip and the last (or first depending how you look at it) bus to leave home to get me to work on time leaves at 2204 the night before! 

260 kg for cooking, heating and lighting. extra heating is from a log fire, wood from fallen trees that would be burnt to clear it or rot so the carbon would be released anyway.

I don't fly off on holiday so nothing there, after that its food, most of the meat I eat is locally grown and processed or wild.

Forgot the 365 ish kg I breath out a year!

As the average for a person in the uk is 10,000kg I think I'm not doing too bad.

Edited by bluesj

57 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

My personal carbon footprint is almost certainly massive. At least 4 long-haul flights a year, a 4 bedroom apartment that's kept at  under 24C  when it's up to 50C outside -  including when I'm not here (as per the housing rules), an old 4.2 litre straight 6 petrol SUV that I use like a bicycle. 

On the plus side I don't eat much red meat these days - hardly any when I'm away from the family.

Good for you. 👍Don’t worry about the meat intake, I’m eating twice as much nowadays to cancel out as many vegans as possible.