More Vegan Nonsense

udderlyoffroad

Interesting article in the Torygraph about a pair of beardy-hipster-types, apparently big on Youtube, espousing the benefits of vegan 'lifestyle', plugging their new book.  

Article is behind a paywall, but you can sign up for a free trial.  If you can't be 'arrised to do that, this extract amused me...

I then explore this idea of cultivating British land for plants given that only around 35 per cent of land is suitable for crops, according to Defra. Which would surely mean we would have to transport more food into this country rather than less? “We don’t have the answer,” says Theasby. “We don’t want to come across as false experts.” 

It carries on in much the same vein.  Clearly they were expecting the interview to be a 'puff-piece' (never understood that term) and got a shock when a journalist asked some real questions.  Sadly this seems to be an exception, rather than the rule in the media.

I suppose the problem is not that some millenial beardos are trying to flog a book about the latest fad. The problem is how many people will swallow this hook, line, sinker and copy of Angling Times, without question. 

Even then, that isn't really a problem (except for your own health), but how many of these people will then demand legislation to compel others to follow their example? Sod BASC's legal fund, I hope the NFU has a healthy war-chest.

ok have some vegetarians and vegans within the extended family through relationships / marriages and  friends daughters converted at infant  school ,    not one of them healthy , colitis and other stomach problems  in an out of hospital with nutritional issues ,  so one belligerent woman a cousin through marriage  and her partner of 10 yrs both were really  crook in and out of hospital in a really bad way  and he was put on an added  chicken / fish diet she  got rid of him after two months eating meat  

he is now healthy going forward with a new partner  being Italian guy  enjoying good food again 

the belligerent one is on deaths door  hasn't got long  (if death cant change a mindset how can any dialogue change anything)

the drain on the nhs even given life saving advise being ignored I despair   (you cannot educate stupid  )

I would welcome that here.  On this side of the ocean the new thing is Farm to table harvesting your own meat craze.  These liberal hipsters are crowding lakes, dove fields, and public hunting grounds.  They walk around in with their man pony tails and ruin the hunt for everyone screaming that trump isn’t their president.  

10 hours ago, Stonepark said:

If you are interested in a laymans estimation the below is a good guide: -

http://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/sites/default/files/can_britain_feed_itself.pdf

Thanks for posting, very interesting ive printed it out and I will see if I can find the original.. organic farming is at odds with vegan ideas due to the fact that a lot of FYM [farm yard manures] are used as fertiliser in the organic system, I believe vegans want to use human waste but that will have to composted very efficiently to avoid poisoning. perhaps not very energy efficient,  which wont please the other save the world people

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i tried some of those quorn sausages last night 🤮, i did not buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I did some vegan baiting the other day on 2 separate occasions. 1st was somebody spouting that we shouldn't drink milk, eat meat etc and all the uk should be put to grow vegan friendly food. I had to point out that all the things they like to make vegan milk out of wont grow in 75% of the uk. I've never seen a field of oats, soya or almonds on any of our highlands and that quorn is a fungus grown in a factory. The 2nd occasion was an advert for Restaurant Severn in Telford advertising vegan night, my question was when is meat night or game night? I got a reply but not an answer. Mrs BTJ told ne not to pick on the special kids it wasnt fair on them 😂

9 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I would welcome that here.  On this side of the ocean the new thing is Farm to table harvesting your own meat craze.  These liberal hipsters are crowding lakes, dove fields, and public hunting grounds.  They walk around in with their man pony tails and ruin the hunt for everyone screaming that trump isn’t their president.  

You’re always going to find the same thing under a ponytail 🙄

all the best 

of 

My Mrs and I are "opposites" in many ways, She was a vegetarian when I first met her (and mostly still is but eats a little fish from time to time on the advice of her Dr these days).

When we first hooked up I did a couple of our early Sunday lunches, so I would have been eating a roast + veggies and I'm being complimented on the roast potatoes. Well they should be good I say, they've been cooked to Delia Smiths recipe - I'm asked about and explain select the right type of potatoes (Maris Pipers) part boil them and then roast in the goose fat? I said the parsnips are much the same.

Goose Fat! Goose Fat? I haven't eaten animal products in over 20 years!!!! - yes you have you had the same two weeks ago? Light Blue Touch paper stand well back!

Still I got my own back after all the verbal abuse. Later on its Ice Cream Time - I tell her you cant touch that - gelatine - an animal product - she reached for a bar of chocolate - sorry you cant touch that - it contains "rennet" an animal product.   :)