Bullace vodka.

JDog

Yesterday we picked a load of bullace from my secret place. Two bushes laden with fruit were all that was needed to get as many as we wanted. They were free and picked within a mile of the house. The vodka, despite being Aldi's best was expensive. The end product will be delicious. Can't wait.

Bullaces and vodka..jpg

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Yesterday we picked a load of bullace from my secret place. Two bushes laden with fruit were all that was needed to get as many as we wanted. They were free and picked within a mile of the house. The vodka, despite being Aldi's best was expensive. The end product will be delicious. Can't wait.

Bullaces and vodka..jpg

Does it taste similar to sloe gin ... are they hard to come by 

Done a bit of research and found there are some green/yellow versions,  looks like mine are Shepherds Bullace.  I have seven or eight young seedling trees which appeared very close to the bullace and I transplanted them and they did have some flower this year but no fruit. It will be interesting next year to see if they produce because the Shepherds Bullace are very close to a damazene tree and a golden gauge. Wonder if I will get a cross.  The flowers where larger than sloe flowers.

I make Damazene Vodka and Gin and it is also superb. These fruit are like a large damson but the stone comes out clean unlike a true damson.

Interesting you found your bullace up on the wolds because I saw a similar tree on the side of the Fosse Way down near Cirencester but could not stop. Now that is the same ridge of limestone you have up there. I wonder if they prefer that type of soil

Edited by Walker570

I suspect that there are many more Bullace trees about in the countryside but people are just not noticing them or at least failing to identify them properly. The following two photos show a Bullace hedge looking just like any other overgrown hedge, and some fruits on the tree.

Bullace hedgerow..jpg

Bullace fruit on tree..jpg

I have one small tree in my wood which produces large damsons....so I thought...but now believe it may be a bullace. Looks the same as your pictures.  I have only ever used them for making Damson Gin but after two glasses couldn't tell the difference ...or care:no::lol:

I will see if there are still any fruit on the yellow version and take a photo, see what you all think and if it is a bullace.....shepperds bullace that is.

Lots of natural food out there but had lots turned down when offered to people ..... not wrapped in plastic on a poly tray.

I've posted about green ("white") bullace before, I have access to one small bush which I would normally have visited by now. Even just a few handfuls of fruit can make a good compote or similar. I think I have probably missed my chance this year but I still have a jar of preserve in the fridge.

Edited by John_R

Round my way, we have yellow Mirabelle's like bullace sized fruits, also sweet cherry plums. The wild cherry plums are delicious eaten straight off the tree. Mirabelle's are not very nice and quite bland.

Looking at that bullace J Dog the Damson tree I picked from maybe a type of bullace. All the bullace trees or shrubs in my neck of the woods were only roughly double the size of normal Sloes.

After looking online Bullace is another word for wild plums. Not the large Sloes I thought.

Edited by figgy

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:15, John_R said:

I've posted about green ("white") bullace before, I have access to one small bush which I would normally have visited by now. Even just a few handfuls of fruit can make a good compote or similar. I think I have probably missed my chance this year but I still have a jar of preserve in the fridge.

I would still expect to find white bullaces now, they can still be found after first frosts

4 hours ago, martinj said:

I would still expect to find white bullaces now, they can still be found after first frosts

I'll take a look next time I get there.  The bush is small and gets cut along with the rest of the hedgerow, and that will have been done by now. Worth a look 👍