Jobs to do.

dead eye alan

Ok I have decided to referb the a303 when I get home from holiday, been looking on YouTube at barrel blueing both hot and cold as the barrel has rusty marks and scratches on it from a shot cam clamps. The stock has been treated to some sort of stain but not done well, I got it from bosher a while back  and knew of its poor appearance but it performs well when pointed in the right direction. So my first question is what's the best product to re blue the barrels?

Hi is it a SMLE or a No4 ? Most SMLE where oiled blacked, later ones were black oxide as were early No 4. American and Canadian No 4   were parkerised  later No 4 were enamel painted so depending on the age and type as to what the finish is. I had a No 5 which was painted I used high temperature enamel paint which worked extremely well 

11 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Hi is it a SMLE or a No4 ? Most SMLE where oiled blacked, later ones were black oxide as were early No 4. American and Canadian No 4   were parkerised  later No 4 were enamel painted so depending on the age and type as to what the finish is. I had a No 5 which was painted I used high temperature enamel paint which worked extremely well 

Berretta auto A303............i think

Yeah I have, I did a Ithaca with cold blue and it came up alright but it never lasts and have played with hot bluing and for one gun it's not cost effective but if you want to go for it it's not that hard just quite dangerous with some nasty chemicals! If you are going to do a few guns it's worth the effort to hot blue but really need to be done in batches if not a permanent setup.

only other thing to worry about is if the it has a rib it can sometimes come off due to the temperatures involved.

On 28/09/2019 at 21:02, rovercoupe said:

Yeah I have, I did a Ithaca with cold blue and it came up alright but it never lasts and have played with hot bluing and for one gun it's not cost effective but if you want to go for it it's not that hard just quite dangerous with some nasty chemicals! If you are going to do a few guns it's worth the effort to hot blue but really need to be done in batches if not a permanent setup.

only other thing to worry about is if the it has a rib it can sometimes come off due to the temperatures involved.

Thanks  for the info.