Sloe or damson or other ?

Ferret664

Right are they sour ? As I was looking over the bush that was laden with them and tried a couple all were hard but dark in colour or starting to rot which I obviously didn’t try !! Damson are sweet right ? As I collect a load somewhere else looked the same but were lovely and sweet like a plum but looked exactly the same 

The green/yellow Shepperds Bulace I have are also very hard initially and sour and difficult to pick off the tree. Just shake the branch and those that fall off are very ripe and sweet and delicious so do not know if the black bulace are the same.  Certainly look like bulace to me.  If they are hard to touch they are not ripe and the natural sugars have not risen to ripen them.

Like plums they do go past their best quickly once ripe.

Do they break clean from the stone when ripe?  If they do and are about damson shape and 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inch long then damazene. They are obviously very ripe in the photo.

Look up damazene on google.   Difficult to judge size from the photo.  Go nice with a drop of gin I bet.  My wife just returned from Aldi with some Topaz Blue gin and must say it is a nice drink, flavoursome. Just added some to some squashed damazenes.  

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:05, Demonic69 said:

As we're on the berry identification mission, any idea what these are? 

I was hunting for sloes earlier, thanks to you guys and your sloe ginspiration. They'd all been picked but there ere a few of these about

20190930_130347.jpg

That's Laurel, all parts of the plant, including the fruit are poisonous