Sloe gin , drinks and delights

Ferret664

I normally do some morello cherry brandy but an almost absence of cherries on my two trees prevented this.

Made some damson vodka for the first time as highly recommended on here.

However, the blackthorns around here were devoid of sloes but Wooder on here kindly came to my rescue and supplied me with sufficient sloes for this years batch of sloe gin.

OB

12 hours ago, Robden said:

Whichever fruit you use, don't waste it.

When the fruit/pulp is removed, stir it into a good quality, gently melted plain chocolate and leave it (if you can) to set............MMmmmmmmm! 

You got me started, into Aldi this afternoon for 6 bars of dark chocolate .

Got home and removed the pulp from the sloes that had been soaking in vodka since December, had strained off the brew yesterday and was thinking of making jam before seeing this post.

And WOW, wife is now checking it out 😋 and l can’t say she’s alone 😳

Tomorrow it’s the Scotch and Gin’s turn.

11 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

You got me started, into Aldi this afternoon for 6 bars of dark chocolate .

Got home and removed the pulp from the sloes that had been soaking in vodka since December, had strained off the brew yesterday and was thinking of making jam before seeing this post.

And WOW, wife is now checking it out 😋 and l can’t say she’s alone 😳

Tomorrow it’s the Scotch and Gin’s turn.

The sloes are excellent, they give a nice "tang."  Other fruit can be a bit sweet......mind you though, it still gets eaten......quickly.

I have just roasted some home grown cob nuts and added a few sultanas as a trial run to using the damazenes from the vodka I have brewing at the moment.

Used the Aldi dark chocolate, melted in a small saucepan sat in boiling water in a larger saucepan, takes seconds.   Just devoured the first block as desert after Sunday lunch, superb.

Looking forward to the damazenes being ready.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:40, Ferret664 said:

Hmm blackberry brandy now that sounds intresting !? 

Also I hear a lot of me of rave about raspberry vodka is it really as good as everyone says? Never tried vodka and not massively keen on raspberries but think might have to give it a go ! 

Yes, BB - it's as good as it sounds.

I think my wife tried Raspberries which were nice but Strawberry Vodka is to die for - very moreish, it doesn't last long.

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:15, Ferret664 said:

Can you add cinnamon sticks to sloe gin ? Sure I read it on here before now That people use to? Is it any good ? My sloe gin has been sitting a week would it be ok to open it up and pop one in if I wanted to 🤔

I don't see why not, we open our jars to taste and adjust sweetness. It won't go off because sugar and alcohol are both preservatives. Let it steep until it tastes OK then remove it.

On 26/09/2019 at 18:40, Ferret664 said:

Hmm blackberry brandy now that sounds intresting !? 

Also I hear a lot of me of rave about raspberry vodka is it really as good as everyone says? Never tried vodka and not massively keen on raspberries but think might have to give it a go ! 

Blackberry brandy is very nice, as is sloe brandy. Raspberry whiskey is good. Never tried raspberry vodka, I think a bottle may well be on the cards.

Searching around this section I've found loads of ideas to try. 

I've also just sourced some home distilled alcohol. Done a nice little deal on 5L @ 50% abv so I'm hoping to add a little extra punch to this years batch.

Crabapple whiskey! I haven’t tried it but I’ve got a glut of them and I’ve found a recipe for it so I’m going make some this weekend! 

750g crabapples

70cl whisky

5 Tsbp sugar or honey

3 sliced fresh ginger

(or any spice you fancy, cinnamon, vanilla pod, cloves, cardamon)

1ltr jar add the chopped washed apples sugar and whisky and shake well

(I like to  just put the sugar and fruit together for a day or two before I add booze as it makes it more syrupy)

then treat as you would any other fruit ,shake/store in a dark place etc

I've been lazy this year and missed the damson crop. I actually prefer them to sloes as they are sweeter and can be ready to drink a bit quicker.

I usually leave sloes 12 months to brew properly. 

I have got damsons from last years crop still in the loft. They need sorting out for this years Xmas gifting.

We do seem to have some decent sloe crops, so I'd better get out and grab some when they are ready.

Happy brewing.