Thomas Cook repatriation flights

steve_b_wales

I'm out in Egypt now, due to fly back to Birmingham on Sunday. Some left yesterday and have been flown to Cairo, stop off for an hour or two, then onto Istanbul, then to Prague with overnight stay and finally to Birmingham. Looks like it's going to be the same for me.

I'm not looking forward to it!

44 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm out in Egypt now, due to fly back to Birmingham on Sunday. Some left yesterday and have been flown to Cairo, stop off for an hour or two, then onto Istanbul, then to Prague with overnight stay and finally to Birmingham. Looks like it's going to be the same for me.

I'm not looking forward to it!

Go on sky scanner and book flight there are loads mate for £56 to £160 

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

Best of luck with the journey 😞 Prague is a wonderful city make the most of it. 🙂 Sounds like some customers have had demands from their hotels for extra payments. I hope you have managed to avoid that. 

Reports of hotels forcing guests to hand over the money for the rooms and locking their belongings in the rooms until paid. 

Also some airports impounding / detaining guests, I think in Cuba, government directed? 

11 hours ago, oowee said:

Best of luck with the journey 😞 Prague is a wonderful city make the most of it. 🙂 Sounds like some customers have had demands from their hotels for extra payments. I hope you have managed to avoid that. 

Our hotel has been great to us. They are allowing people to stay even though they are still due to be paid. The hotel owners have agreed to this, and we are all thankful to them. The only two people that were asked to pay were an elderly German couple, who, when they arrived at the hotel the other day, were told that they had to pay 140 euro's per day to stay. They left the next morning. 

We are checking the information this morning to see if our new flight details have been put up. 

They get paid after the guests leave, and yes some are tied to certain travel agents. A hotel we found in Mallorca years ago were taken on by Jet2 and we find it both harder to find a room or it is more expensive than booking through Jet2 than doing it ourselves. I presume that it's good for a hotel to get taken on by bigger companies as it broadens their profile.

Now it seems that we will get a direct flight (normal route) back to the UK, but waiting until we get to the airport to make sure. Sad news for a lot of our Egyptian friends who are due to be laid off soon, with no guarantee of getting their jobs back. Some have been friends of ours for many years and we treat them as our second family. They have young families of their own and work damn hard for very little pay. It's going to be hard saying goodbye to them on Sunday. Usually it's 'see you next March' but now we may not get to see them ever again. 

10 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Best of luck with it all Steve,  I hope you both get back without too much grief mate , and don't forget to call me if you get stuck.

Thank you Mel. Much appreciated mate.

Hi all 

I’m currently stuck in Cuba we were flown out the same day they went bust.

The cabin crew were staying at the same hotel and they were in bits and the reps in the hotel have all gone.

The hotel were trying to charge ppl for their stay they were charging some ppl 3k.

The first flight out to Manchester went via Jamaica then Heathrow then Manchester.

We are waiting for our flight to go on the website but it’s taking ages I think we will be the last out.The hotel staff have been told they will be laid off when we are gone 

Mark

UPDATE:

Well, we have just arrived home and already missing the hot weather we had. The booking in etc at Hurghada airport was far better that we expected. All staff there were very helpful and smiling, despite many people complaining/argueing with them. It can't be easy for the sort out the mess that good old T.Cook created. We returned home in style, on an Airbus A330 owned by a Spanish airline named Evelop.(I've never heard of them) The cabin crew gave out free soft drinks and snacks, and as we arrived at Birmingham airport, two staff members from the CAA were at the steps to advise anyone who had to travel to a different airport, unlike the British Consolate who was supposed to be at Hurghada airport!

We feel sorry for the many Egyptian staff at the hotel, who have become close friends of ours, during the past few years, and are being sent home on extended leave, not knowing if they will hvae a job to come too. Our hotel is (was) 80% T.Cook. We hope that another British company will take their place, and we can return next year.

On 30/09/2019 at 10:36, steve_b_wales said:

unlike the British Consolate who was supposed to be at Hurghada airport!

My own and every other ex-pat I know's experience of the FCO is that they're a complete waste of space. Other countries' citizens have people who actually try to represent and support them. Britons get a pack of freeloaders whose chief job in life seems to be to nickel and dime their citizens out of as much money as they can extract. Quite frankly, we'd be much better off if the whole operation were closed down and the government just paid an annual stipend to somewhere like Zambia to act on our behalf abroad. 

My mate and his wife have just been flown home from Vegas, they live near manchester but was flown to Heathrow, when he argued he was told that as long as they repatriated him too the U.K it didn't matter where he was flown too !!. He flew home with Virgin who charged him $3750 EACH for him and his wife for the privilege  !!!