Labradoodle

holloway

Advertised as pets or working dogs? 

Heres the thing, you can get a nicely bred working line lab for LESS than a Labradoodle... the labradoodle’s parents may have never been worked, never health tested and god knows it’s ability ... if your very lucky they may have used a standard poodle x working lab ... both are working breeds, although there is no guarantee and it’s more likely they used whichever two dogs were closest and most convenient to throw together.

Now... with the above said, it depends what you want the dog for... if you just want a companion who will do the odd retrieves then you could likely get one and it will fulfil that role... you won’t be allowed to enter working tests with a cross (which are great fun) and if you train the dog very well you won’t be able to compete with it. 

The coat also may have a tendency to get covered in mud, thorns, things stuck in it... so what you gain in non-shedding you lose with that regard. 

i nave one now 2 years old,very clever dogs pick up things quick, but as for the gun if i fire the pellet gun in the garden he shys a way, so never tryed him with a shotgun.if i take him for walks round the farms he will put the birds up.and stay on them,if i took him out with the gun then i might be looking for him all day,he will go in water all day

Edited by mossy835

thanks for the replies having a think as what to get next ,only really wanted for fowling and maybe a few pigeons also a pet ,always had springers but  wondered if a lab might suit better .Never had a lab and probably easier to go with what i know ,also looked at Clumber cross springer, lab cross springer just thinking aloud really.My present dog (springer ) who i would never part with has been struggling with lameness due to poor confirmation of his elbows leading to unrepairable damage in both..I would like him to go steady and look after himself but .....I am leaning towards pure Lab but i do love a nice stocky Springer.My springer has no issues with even the biggest Canada goose although i have heard that some struggle .Any more thoughts appreciated.

3 hours ago, holloway said:

thanks for the replies having a think as what to get next ,only really wanted for fowling and maybe a few pigeons also a pet ,always had springers but  wondered if a lab might suit better .Never had a lab and probably easier to go with what i know ,also looked at Clumber cross springer, lab cross springer just thinking aloud really.My present dog (springer ) who i would never part with has been struggling with lameness due to poor confirmation of his elbows leading to unrepairable damage in both..I would like him to go steady and look after himself but .....I am leaning towards pure Lab but i do love a nice stocky Springer.My springer has no issues with even the biggest Canada goose although i have heard that some struggle .Any more thoughts appreciated.

It will be EASIER and much simpler to pick up and train a working bred lab ... however there are other options, Chesepeake's, Duck Tollers, Golden Retrievers, would be nice to source nice working lines of any of those all should make good companions and do the spot of fowling and pigeon shooting :) 

Springers will do it as you well know, however I don't think they are born to be sat in a hide for long periods, they excel at hunting and flushing and by god is it a sight to see a good one really flying! 

I had a peak at a retriever test the other day but it bored me a bit personally, I have seen springers complete some long retrieves and they have the fun of the hunting as well :) But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so think hard about what you will really love to have, as then you are more likely to put the work in! 

I always had springers and yes okay for wildfowling but not ideal. They don’t take the cold and wet as well as a lab. Mine will lie out for hours in any conditions with no ill effects. The springers suffered and shivered like hell on a long session. I have stuck with yellow labs for thirty years now. But you need to decide what really suits you.

7FFA6A1C-0A1D-4839-90B0-2CBE9F02C0B4.jpeg

You could go left field? Get a flat-coated retriever. They will retrieve anything (when they want to), will work in the rain quite happily (when they want to), are obedient through woodland (when they want to be), and hold their concentration well (when they want to).  And never, EVER get in the way when you want to take a photo

image.png.e6180b2694f28e99b8ad8d30370ba65b.png

Edited by chrisjpainter

Wife's got a cockapoo. Comes up to my knee at his shoulder.  Never cost a penny at the vets and is in perfect health (touch wood), 5 years old now.  Clever as a clever thing and hunts like crazy if you let him. Loves water too. If I had the patience I'm sure he would be a good gun dog as it literally takes seconds to train him to do something but I haven't so he spends his time fetching balls, chasing rabbits and squirrels and lazing in front of the fire. Occasionally  he eats my socks. 

I have a proper  mongrel labrador x german wirehaired pointer dad was gamekeepers black lab mum was a liver roan gwp who was used for  deer stalking and rifle work across europe be she also use to do goose work in orkney now and then. he mad as a hatter, more tougher than a pair of paddy's work boots, has no fear in anything, supper nose finds all sorts of stuff even mice in long grass as he eats them.  always wanting to please you so much energy more than a kid hyped on redbull with adhd. Down sides though bites / mouths  even me  forever jumping up people and me  and throws paddy's when you leave him even if its like in the car and you pop out to fill up and pay. but was the best £280 i paid for him total unplanned mistake litter 

51 minutes ago, Cant hit them all said:

I have a proper  mongrel labrador x german wirehaired pointer dad was gamekeepers black lab mum was a liver roan gwp who was used for  deer stalking and rifle work across europe be she also use to do goose work in orkney now and then. he mad as a hatter, more tougher than a pair of paddy's work boots, has no fear in anything, supper nose finds all sorts of stuff even mice in long grass as he eats them.  always wanting to please you so much energy more than a kid hyped on redbull with adhd. Down sides though bites / mouths  even me  forever jumping up people and me  and throws paddy's when you leave him even if its like in the car and you pop out to fill up and pay. but was the best £280 i paid for him total unplanned mistake litter 

I remember reading about that cross years ago, apparently a lot of game keepers in Scotland had them they wanted something as tough as the GWP with the trainability of the lab... not sure if it worked out as easily as that but there were some good reports on stalking directory if I remember righty. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

I remember reading about that cross years ago, apparently a lot of game keepers in Scotland had them they wanted something as tough as the GWP with the trainability of the lab... not sure if it worked out as easily as that but there were some good reports on stalking directory if I remember righty. 

he sharp a razor  quick to pick up things, but do have stubborn streak  and  haven't managed to find any whistle he will take to so all commands have to be verbally spoken  like he is deaf to any whistle. but a cracking strong dog he is just a year old and to be honest i'm **** at training like total novice but have more ability than i could give him so couldn't say if training is as easy as a pure lab or not  , but this will give you a idea on how strong he is 450x450 paving slabs he can carry around in his mouth like there nothing.