Labradoodle

holloway

On 11/10/2019 at 22:37, Cant hit them all said:

he sharp a razor  quick to pick up things, but do have stubborn streak  and  haven't managed to find any whistle he will take to so all commands have to be verbally spoken  like he is deaf to any whistle. but a cracking strong dog he is just a year old and to be honest i'm **** at training like total novice but have more ability than i could give him so couldn't say if training is as easy as a pure lab or not  , but this will give you a idea on how strong he is 450x450 paving slabs he can carry around in his mouth like there nothing.

My Setter won't  respond to a normal whistle. Someone on here reccomended a Fox 40 whistle. He listens to that. It's a lot louder than the gundog whistles.

This is the original thread with regard to the Fox 40

In relation to the OP - I echo a lot of what other people have said.

A mixed breed is just that and it's a lottery regarding the outcome.

We have a pure bred black lab, mainly as a pet but he's a fantatic dog. We also inheirited from the inlaws a cockerpoo - he's first generation and so far no issues. They got his as a pet, we said bad idea and after 6 mnoths they agreed. He was just too much for them. VERY energetic and they couldn't cope with him (complete lack of discipline didn't help). We've had him 2 years and he's an absolute joy now. Good nose and works quite well when out for walks but not used as a gundog. VERY smart and we're doing dog agility with him to keep him occupied and tire him out. The only issue is he's got a bit of an `only child` syndrome about him and can get jealous/possessive. We manage it but its a trait we don't like.

Personally, if I wanted a gundog I would not go for a mix/mongrel - too many variables. Some people will always have success and that's great but it's not for me.

They cost so much because it's a fad, supply and demand and just a case of what's en vogue. 

A lot of them are very cute as puppies but complete **** when they grow up and need firm handling and boundries setting. I think that an experienced handler could get a lot out of one but it's not an ideal first dog.

I'll always say labs followed closely by spaniels.