English Side by Side project

nabbers

51 minutes ago, nabbers said:

Thanks for the tip, no idea that site was still around and still a unregulated!    A few on there but no guarantee I'll get one RFD after paying!    You get trusted sellers on PW! 

No worries, I've sold a few on there it's not a bad site. 

Good luck with the search, make sure you stick it in the side by side club when your done 👍

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

I have a Charles Rosson of Derby SxS hammer gun.

It will need some work and the stock is broken at the wrist. You can have it if you would like?

Thank you for the kind offer, but I should add I want a hammerless piece that I can use for our farmers shoot once a year so sadly (because sorely tempted) I'll decline! 

18 minutes ago, nabbers said:

Thank you for the kind offer, but I should add I want a hammerless piece that I can use for our farmers shoot once a year so sadly (because sorely tempted) I'll decline! 

No probs. I bought it with the best of intentions but realised I won’t have the time to do it! Thought it better that someone gets something out of it rather than hand it in to the police.

19 minutes ago, Strongman said:

No probs. I bought it with the best of intentions but realised I won’t have the time to do it! Thought it better that someone gets something out of it rather than hand it in to the police.

Second thoughts ....PM sent....

10 hours ago, Strongman said:

I have a Charles Rosson of Derby SxS hammer gun.

It will need some work and the stock is broken at the wrist. You can have it if you would like?

same company as Rosson Norwich ?............if they are in good nick they are quite sort after....made nice little boxlock partridge guns....

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

same company as Rosson Norwich ?............if they are in good nick they are quite sort after....made nice little boxlock partridge guns....

Didn't Gallyons take them over at some point ?

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Didn't Gallyons take them over at some point ?

now...that i dont know...........over the years i have been to several country sales and have often seen Rosson's for sale all of the short barrelled and chambered for a 2" cartridge.....unfortunatly all of the guns i have looked at have been totally shot out.......talking to old farmers ...pre war the Rosson was the weapon of choice for partridge shooting....and on the Norfolk Lincolnshire border in particular ...partridge shooting was king and pheasants were treated almost as vermin...........

the boxlocks i have held have always been very lightweight...and i daresay they was a lot of double gunning......

They started off in Derby and moved to Norwich around 1916, rampant horse Street. Then in 1953 it changed to Hellis-Rosson Ltd located at 7 Bedford Street Norwich, cant find anything about Gallyons taking them over though. 

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

now...that i dont know...........over the years i have been to several country sales and have often seen Rosson's for sale all of the short barrelled and chambered for a 2" cartridge.....unfortunatly all of the guns i have looked at have been totally shot out.......talking to old farmers ...pre war the Rosson was the weapon of choice for partridge shooting....and on the Norfolk Lincolnshire border in particular ...partridge shooting was king and pheasants were treated almost as vermin...........

the boxlocks i have held have always been very lightweight...and i daresay they was a lot of double gunning......