Home build thermal core truck spotter - but its not for sale!

Dave-G

I had some technical help to build a thermal spotter after seeing a used thermal core was for sale. It is dooable for about £500 to this spec. 

Here is a very brief video of the build and its field potential range for rabbit size quarry. 

If anyone wants more information I have the build thread on the night vision forum. Google 'thermal imaging core DIY thermal build' 

Very clever Dave. Thermal performance is very variable with atmospheric moisture and relevant temperatures. The last few nights have been very poor for thermal as the ground and hedges have had similar temperatures ( ie not much change in the air temperature for a long period). To enhance the thermal spotting back ground on my pulsar I have to play around a lot with the contrast and brightness controls. I always want brightness at a minimum to try to save night vision but it does not seem to make much difference. 

2 minutes ago, telf said:

Very good indeed dave , could this be the new add on rig  lol

No Dave, I have retired from building items for sale - still have a few odds and ends on the shelves: Currently looking to swap a spotter for a scope if you have something suitable laying around.

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Very clever Dave. Thermal performance is very variable with atmospheric moisture and relevant temperatures. The last few nights have been very poor for thermal as the ground and hedges have had similar temperatures ( ie not much change in the air temperature for a long period). To enhance the thermal spotting back ground on my pulsar I have to play around a lot with the contrast and brightness controls. I always want brightness at a minimum to try to save night vision but it does not seem to make much difference. 

Indeed, I was fairly lucky about the conditions last night with that last bit, the foliage was damp but the track wasn't too bad. I'm still deciding if the 35mm lens is going to suit me or maybe find a 50mm one. I have a neutral density filter gel over the 7" monitor to preserve my night eyes a bit, and dimmed a little too. I also put it somewhere I can shield my eyes from it when driving.