Conkers

London Best

Actually the H&S once sponsored the conker World Championship, I know this because I did a Risk Assessment before introducing conkers to my Beaver Scouts 10 years ago.

We have run competitions each year since normally setting off a brief craze in the feeder schools.

One year we took my 7 year old son and his mate on an outing to the Tower of London he and his mate had their conkers from that weeks Beavers and started playing a Beefeater came over to give them some tips.

Edited by Dibble

I don't think H&S has anything to do with the demise of a game of conkers in the school playground or anywhere else come to that matter, 

No blame the sterile safe environment of X Box and Playstation and facebook they are the real culprits for the stagnated life of our offspring nowadays.

13 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I don't think H&S has anything to do with the demise of a game of conkers in the school playground or anywhere else come to that matter, 

No blame the sterile safe environment of X Box and Playstation and facebook they are the real culprits for the stagnated life of our offspring nowadays.

Become a Scout Leader we are crying out for Leaders

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

But what about the shorts? Still mandatory?

I decided I would never wear shorts when I first joined, most of us do have beards though.

Honestly if you care about children having the best upbringing possible and love introducing them to the countryside it's a great hobby.

3 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I decided I would never wear shorts when I first joined, most of us do have beards though.

Honestly if you care about children having the best upbringing possible and love introducing them to the countryside it's a great hobby.

I'm probably too old and definitely too far away. But if I were in the UK I'd be up for it. 

17 hours ago, Dibble said:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm

From the HSE website show it to your childrens school ! HSE have never advised banning conkers!

Yup. It's not the HSE's fault, it's the name, blame shame and sue culture seeping in from America. The HSE give guidance and the vast majority of it is entirely based on common sense. But then companies, organisations, schools etc get scared that little Amelia Harvey-Henry might get scratched from a split piece of conker and her parents will sue the school for the price of a new BMW X5.

It's all a bit dim and results in kids having no idea how to assess risk.

19 hours ago, fatchap said:

It was partly to blame in some school playgrounds. I think you are right though, computer consoles have become so clever and the games so imersive. Kids enter their world and stay there for days

On 29/09/2019 at 16:57, ShootingEgg said:

computer consoles have become so clever and the games so imersive. Kids enter their world and stay there for days

Not just kids. I used to read novels for fun. Now with my chopped off attention span,  II'vsurf around looking for opportunites to post my almost certainly ignored ( everyone is looks at their own imput on social media) notions. 

|ts not really a very healthy trade.

On 28/09/2019 at 19:05, fatchap said:

Who gave the children them? Parenting by electronic means?