Choosing a puppy from a litter

akka

Its been 3 years since Worzel, our fantastic Springer, passed away.  It is now time to look for a new dog. Our Worzel was a very big strapping fella, and as great as he was, he was a fair handful. So this time we will be looking for a slightly smaller dog, and have decided on a Cocker. 

So my question is, what do you look for when picking a new dog from a litter. Are there any characteristics/traits which should be avoided or sought after? 

How did you choose yours?

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it thinks and looks.......

100%  

I always looked for the one which was away on it's own hunting and doing it's own thing. Picked the very best dog I ever had, and I had a few good ones, when they where let loose on a large lawn bordering a large pond. One dog puppy made for the water and reeds and was digging around in there whilst the others played with each other or sat and whined.  He was the only dog I ever saw which would actually dive after a diver and come back up with it. He was also a choccy lab which every 'expert' said would never make it.  Hope this helps but I agree it ain't easy picking out of a good litter.   A lot rests on what you put into the pup when it comes to stay.

Impossible question to answer as we all look for different things and at say 8 weeks they can change in character in days. I just sit down and watch, rattle a box of matches or similar to see if any are more attentive. I find that one eventually stands out but damned if I can explain why. Once went to look at a litter and did not like any of them but did see one in a slightly older litter. He never wants to leave my side. If the pups are well bred in my experience it is then largely a lottery.

Good luck.

What a pup is like at 8 weeks isn't what it'll be like at 6 months, 12 months or 5 years. A bold pup could be very soft later on and a soft pup could develop into a bold (and head strong nutcase) of a dog. 

If considering a smaller dog, I would very strongly consider sourcing a springer bitch from a smaller line, I have seen lots and lots of well bred springers and cockers over the last 2 years going frequently to tests, trials and events and although there are some very good cockers about, it is much harder to get a good one, they can be good one minute and refuse to do much the next and depending on your skills a right pain in the A... 

Do not just consider a cocker to be just a small springer, they are far more quirky, although at times they can be great fun, my mate told me every now and then they will just do something that they have never done before an you'll scratch your head and think "where the hell did that come from?!" I think Owwee on here's has one who is hilarious, when decoying it decided it was too hot so bogged off from his hide, sprinted across the field and decided to have a swim in a water bath before coming back refreshed, that example is hilarious but others may not be so funny lol. 

Just food for thought. 

As regard to picking a pup when you find the right litter, Ditchman has a good example of picking the pup that thinks before it acts and shows good brains, others pick the smallest pup as it will have had to fight to get to the milk and hope it will have a bit of grunt in it, others will want the boldest pup...personally I sent my Mrs into the kennel and told her "pick me a smallish one"... Mine has ended up as one of the biggest dogs to show up on shoots 😞 lol ... but at least I can blame her for choosing him and not me lol (He was the one I wanted anyway). 

On 29/09/2019 at 00:35, Dave at kelton said:

If the pups are well bred in my experience it is then largely a lottery.

Seconded. You don't really know how a dog is going to shape up until you start working with it. Sometimes the ones that were great looking pups turn out to be idiots, and sometimes the ones you least expected to do well can surprise. So choose the one you like for whatever reason and hope for the best.

Edited by Retsdon

On 01/10/2019 at 18:33, B725 said:

Try to see both parents if possible that will give you an idea of what they will be. If it's another spanner you want contact BB on here she breeds some nice dog's I should know I have one 👍

😍😍😍

Thank you, I do try!!

No springers due for two years I’m afraid but I have a beautiful litter of cockers....

Edited by bigbird

Just now, B725 said:

Why the change? First day tomorrow for little Stan picking up 😊

No change, Stan’s mum didn’t have the best time whelping and I don’t want to put her through it again and Turbo only had two, I wanted to run three or four on but they were promised to the owner of the stud dog and a pal from Dorset who got a 3rd in his first trial with Stan’s brother - there’s no way I was keeping just one pup by herself 😫😫

1 minute ago, B725 said:

3rd in his first trial is quite impressive. 

Not bad to be fair, more importantly (to me) was the intuitive careful and gentle way he was trained so it was a privilege that he wanted another 😊👍

Edited by bigbird

On 03/10/2019 at 18:42, bigbird said:

😍😍😍

Thank you, I do try!!

No springers due for two years I’m afraid but I have a beautiful litter of cockers....

Win win. It's a cocker he is after this time. :)

On 28/09/2019 at 19:16, akka said:

Its been 3 years since Worzel, our fantastic Springer, passed away.  It is now time to look for a new dog. Our Worzel was a very big strapping fella, and as great as he was, he was a fair handful. So this time we will be looking for a slightly smaller dog, and have decided on a Cocker. 

So my question is, what do you look for when picking a new dog from a litter. Are there any characteristics/traits which should be avoided or sought after? 

How did you choose yours?

I watch and look at how they move, if all are good I pick the cheeky mischievous one. 

I like a dog with sense of humour, if your not out working your dog all the time you don't need a field trial champ. A nice companion you can work and enjoy is more important to me.

Had serious working dogs in the past and not the best pets.

Edited by figgy