What do I do?

fatchap

My best friend in the world has a rotten tooth, George is a 14 yr old Staffie who I have had since a pup, The vet wants to sedate him to remove the offending tooth, but has said there is a risk my mate won't wake up or could go into cardiac arrest. H e may seem fine for a few days after the OP but stress could kick in and cause a heart attack, I realise the vet is doing her job and giving me the worst case scenario but trust me she aint making this decision lightly. He has antibiotics and anti inflammatories for the pain which seem to be doing what I paid for, but its only temporary, The big question is do I stop being selfish and put him through the operation and hope he comes round OK or do I keep him on Antibiotics for the rest of his life and hope the infection doesn't spread?

Help us put here chaps, has to be one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.  I keep telling myself its just a tooth, not cancer or something but the vet was quite clear he may not survive the anesthetic.

If surgery is required to correct things, the two things I would consider are a) is the condition life threatening b) is it seriously, negatively affecting the quality of life......if the answer to either is yes, and the surgery will sort it........then I think you know the answer!

Edited by panoma1

I think I would have the tooth out and put your dog right.  The vet is correct to give you the worse case scenario.  Had 14 dogs over the years and been through this similar situation and of course had the FINAL decision to make as well and it never got any easier.  Hope the old dog is sorted and enjoys the rest of his life, give him a hug from me.

Edited by Walker570

Tooth pain can be horrific and leaving a dog with a condition that can cause infection on-going ain't really an option for me.

It's a no-brainer to go for the operation, hopefully the dog will be fine.

I would rather have my dog PTS than leave him with a long-term on-going issue that is going to cause him lots of pain and infections. 

The big problem with a tooth infection is not only the pain, but it could affect his whole system and pull him down so much you lose him anyway and he will suffer in the meantime.

If you go for the tooth removal and he makes it , its win win. If he doesn't  make it you know you did the best for him and he didn't suffer.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:31, Lloyd90 said:

Tooth pain can be horrific and leaving a dog with a condition that can cause infection on-going ain't really an option for me.

It's a no-brainer to go for the operation, hopefully the dog will be fine.

I would rather have my dog PTS than leave him with a long-term on-going issue that is going to cause him lots of pain and infections. 

+1