Shotgun sling studs

SuperGoose75

So I'm finally getting around to putting a sling on my Wildfowling o/u. I bought the sling yesterday and it already has the lockable swivels. I need to put a stud in the stock.

I was looking online today and was going to order the usual screw stud, but came on a stud with brass knurls and is not pointy.It is saying it is a stronger job when put in with epoxy. It is shorter than the more common stock pointed screw.

Anyone have any experience with the knurled one? as a pair is considerably dearer than the more common ones.I don't mind paying extra if they are a stronger job. Thanks.

Ps Sorry put this in the wrong section. Should have been guns and equipment. 

Edited by SuperGoose75

19 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Less chance of splitting your stock wide open using the knurled + epoxy resine option.

Just make sure you fully mask the area before drilling, because any slip and your stock will be, ahem poorly.

Yes that seems to be the idea alright. Sounds a sturdier job also. However I went to order a pair today and realised they would be shipped from the states and the cost was ridiculous. I couldn't find the same studs this side of the pond so just ordered the the ordinary ones. Was speaking with the gunsmith and he said he usually uses epoxy resin with the ordinary ones anyhow. 

Thanks for the reply 👍

Also remember to drill at a slight angle, as the stock is sloping... something I only considered AFTER I drilled a hole straight 'down' at 90' on my Semi, luckily I used Epoxy resin as well as screwing it into the wood to make it extra solid so was able to re drill the hole slightly to make the stud flush with the stock! 

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Also remember to drill at a slight angle, as the stock is sloping... something I only considered AFTER I drilled a hole straight 'down' at 90' on my Semi, luckily I used Epoxy resin as well as screwing it into the wood to make it extra solid so was able to re drill the hole slightly to make the stud flush with the stock! 

The stud on the front of my Mauser was screwed into wood square on. It lasted just two years. It's now in with two pack. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

The stud on the front of my Mauser was screwed into wood square on. It lasted just two years. It's now in with two pack. 

I meant on the butt stock, on my semi auto I just bought an after market magazine tube end cap that had a sling swivel on it so didn't touch the front end with a stud. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thanks for that! That is good to know.

I was considering doing it myself but I think I will pay the old gunsmith a visit. It will be done right and I also haven't seen him in quite a few years. Being a character I enjoy his company and could happily spend a few hours with him.

3 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I've got a set of pachamyr flush fit swivels if they're any good to you?  They're a quick detach type with a T shape end. If I can find them you can have them for 25 quid posted which is what they cost me. 

I only need a stud for the stock,as the sling I bought has the swivels attached and the gun came with a sling attachment welded under the barrels.

Thanks for the offer though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well had arranged to take the gun to the old Gunsmith today to get the stud fitted. I was held back and got there a little later than the appointed time.

I made a light hearted comment about sure there is no panic! True to his character he wasnt long in putting me right by saying there was a panic as he was heading out.

I was sorry to see he had aged quite considerably since I last saw him. Still a big lump of a man but stiff with arthritis!I love being in his old workshop at the back of his house.Full of interesting things. He got to work and his story telling was soon in full flow. I watched him work and he had a little gadget for putting over the stock with a hole for inserting the punch to mark the hole. After he finished he asked had I the swivel for the under barrel attachment? I told him that the swivels came with the sling (which I had in the van). I didnt want to hold him back and although he refused payment I slipped him a tenner. 

I felt a bit sad leaving as I thought this may be the last time I get to talk to him.

Well I'm not long back and went to attach the Sling and have found the hole in the attachment under the barrel is not wide enough for the swivel stud to go through😠 I should have really tried it whilst at the Gunsmith's. I could drill it out myself, however there is enough meat on the inside of the attachment to make the hole bigger but not so on the outside.So any over drilling and it would make the attachment pretty much unfit for purpose. The other option is to put a stud in the forearm, although I like the fact it is under the barrel and a that gives a better distance fromt the stock swivel. I'll contact the old boy again and I'm sure he will have something to ream  the hole out without making it unfit for purpose. Another chance to spend some time with him.

Edited by SuperGoose75