Win SXP jammin

flippermaj

I have a Win SXP 3.5 mag that I have used for the last two seasons on the foreshore.  Use it for pigeons and the odd clay or two.  Great gun shoot well with it but occasionally I jam it.

I have jammed it with 3 in steel shells (Gamebore and Eley) and also with Win 3.5 mags.  Most times it does not jam so it is a rare occurrence and I think it is caused by me not pumping the gun, the gun has a sort of assisted pump action and unless you are good and positive with the pump it seems to be a little confused.

What I don't understand is what is actually happening mechanically within the gun when it jams.  Today I shot an easy pink on the seawall, a single bird dead in the air so no desperate need to pump for a second shot.  When I did go to pump it it seemed jammed up.  The bolt had come back a small amount, say 0.5cm, but it was all locked solid even if I used the slide release button.

I ended up removing the barrel to get the empty cart out of the barrel, it dropped out by itself once I pulled the barrel clear of the rest of the gun.  The second cart was still fully retained in the mag tube.

Does anyone who is familiar with these guns know what is actually happening or jamming internally?

Cheers

Is the gun still under warranty, if so return it to suppliers.

Had the same problem with an SX3, nice gun when working but a pain in the **** when in the middle of a shoot and it’s locked solid.

Was returned to the importers 3/4 times for the fault and in the end l was refunded the full purchase price, put me right off semi auto’s l can tell you.

Although l have had a hankering for one of late 🤔

3 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Is the gun still under warranty, if so return it to suppliers.

Had the same problem with an SX3, nice gun when working but a pain in the rrr’s when in the middle of a shoot and it’s locked solid.

Was returned to the importers 3/4 times for the fault and in the end l was refunded the full purchase price, put me right off semi auto’s l can tell you.

Although l have had a hankering for one of late 🤔

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Sorry can't help with your problem but friend had similar after one season and got rid.

I'd be getting it chopped in for a Supernova or Mossberg pump.

Can't do with guns jamming up when out fowling.

Internet might help with finding the issue.

Just shows how much variation you get, I had the 3 1/2" sxp for years, took it out on sludge pit marshes and the only time it ever came close to jamming was when dry mud on my coat turned to dust and coated its insides. Washed it in the sea and carried on!

1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

Think it's all down to me not pumping it hard firmly enough on occasion.  Just curious as to what was actually jamming in the mechanism.

Mossy835, what Mossy are you getting?   I have had a couple of 835's and regret parting with them as camo ones are hard to come by.

i had a 835,nice gun but like swining a oke tree,im looking at any of the mossburg see what i like.

On 29/09/2019 at 02:04, figgy said:

Sorry can't help with your problem but friend had similar after one season and got rid.

I'd be getting it chopped in for a Supernova or Mossberg pump.

Can't do with guns jamming up when out fowling.

Internet might help with finding the issue.

I'm having the same issue with my supernova its giving me all sorts of problems. I have to take the trigger group out to un jam it and when it doesn't jam it miss feeds. Luckily I have a back up gun for this season.

Goes to show what we think is most reliable isn't always. I watched a video made by an American and he put the usual crop of pump guns through their paces in all sorts of ways. Wetting them, covering in mud etc. At the start of the video he rated the guns from his favourite to the one he didn't like the Remington 870.  It was the Remington 870 that kept working, surprised him as he thought it would fail straight off.

I'll see if I can find the video. 

Edited by figgy

• Members
  •  
  • 210 posts

Well time for an update on the SXP.   

Monday night I shot two geese from seperate skeins so single shots each time.  First bird gun seemed fine but when I went to pick the empty up there was a live round on the sand next to it so it looks like I " double pumped it"      Second bird, fired and thought the gun had locked up on me again.  So it was the usual stressed out fowler madly trying to pump a locked mechanism.  I then calmed down a bit and pushed the pump slide fully forward and hey presto with the slide release button pressed in it cycled fine.

So at this point I am thinking that every problem I have had is really down to user error.  In particular I seem to have a problem with magnum carts as they have more recoil and with the assisted pump mechanism it has pumped itself and I haven't even noticed, hence sometimes I pump it again and end up with a live cart on the floor next to the empty.  The problem for me seems more acute when taking overhead shots as opposed to crossers.

Today I had 6 shots at geese without any fault or problem at all so I do think it is all down to me but after two seasons with the gun you would have thought I would have had it sussed by now.!  I never have a problem with pigeon carts!

Cheers

2 hours ago, flippermaj said:

• Members
  •  
  • 210 posts

Well time for an update on the SXP.   

Monday night I shot two geese from seperate skeins so single shots each time.  First bird gun seemed fine but when I went to pick the empty up there was a live round on the sand next to it so it looks like I " double pumped it"      Second bird, fired and thought the gun had locked up on me again.  So it was the usual stressed out fowler madly trying to pump a locked mechanism.  I then calmed down a bit and pushed the pump slide fully forward and hey presto with the slide release button pressed in it cycled fine.

So at this point I am thinking that every problem I have had is really down to user error.  In particular I seem to have a problem with magnum carts as they have more recoil and with the assisted pump mechanism it has pumped itself and I haven't even noticed, hence sometimes I pump it again and end up with a live cart on the floor next to the empty.  The problem for me seems more acute when taking overhead shots as opposed to crossers.

Today I had 6 shots at geese without any fault or problem at all so I do think it is all down to me but after two seasons with the gun you would have thought I would have had it sussed by now.!  I never have a problem with pigeon carts!

Cheers

goose fever does real nasty things to a bloke 😂 all the best for the season ( happy hunting)