If shooting is banned

islandgun

On 29/09/2019 at 15:24, panoma1 said:

Plus the fact that in the UK they know how many guns we have, their description and serial numbers! Any not handed in and ticked off as such, when the storm troopers come to collect them....will undoubtedly lead to severe consequences for the certificate holder!
Another step towards a police state?

They like to think they do. 

How many times have you read on here alone of numerous issues at renewal with firearms added /missing/ incorrect numbers recorded? 

Not mention the guns that have 'disappeared' or just never recorded. 

Plus forces that have dissolved, merged and created in that time and of course dutifully copied all the information accross with 100% accuracy... 

I imagine a proper audit of the police records would be absolutely horrific. (both to undertake and the results of...) 

2 minutes ago, Lord v said:

How many times have you read on here alone of numerous issues at renewal with firearms added /missing/ incorrect numbers recorded? 

Plus forces that have dissolved, merged and created in that time and of course dutifully copied all the information accross with 100% accuracy... 

I imagine a proper audit of the police records would be absolutely horrific. (both to undertake and the results of...) 

Irrespective of the accuracy of police records, If you have a gun registered in your name, best of luck trying to explain to plod, when they come to collect it, where it is, and why you no longer have it!

27 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Irrespective of the accuracy of police records, If you have a gun registered in your name, best of luck trying to explain to plod, when they come to collect it, where it is, and why you no longer have it!

The reverse would be just as bad; explaining that you don’t own a gun that their records state you do. Happened to a mate, but it was a mod’ rather than an actual firearm, although as we all know through the illogical stupidity which is UK firearms law, it is in fact classed as a firearm. 🙂

41 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

on my last renewal.they phoned to say there is a gun on there record that i have not put on the renewal form, i said i sold it, and sent in the papper work, so shows they have no idear where they are,

Only one told me I still had 3 all of which I had sold to rfd  2 years previous and I had a letter from them confirming the sale and the variation 

sadly sometimes they are a bit overworked   And a tad behind with the paperwork I’m sure they will get it together eventually 😊

2 hours ago, Lord v said:

Didn't South Yorks firearms dept lose all their records a few years ago?  I've certainly heard they did.

45 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Didn't South Yorks firearms dept lose all their records a few years ago?  I've certainly heard they did.

I think it was one of their staff. As I remember it, she was inundated with paperwork to the extent she couldn’t cope, so just started filing renewals, variations and applications in the bin! 😀

I think South York’s had to ring round those people on their files to ask what firearms etc they owned! 

Edited by Scully

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think it was one of their staff. As I remember it, she was inundated with paperwork to the extent she couldn’t cope, so just started filing renewals, variations and applications in the bin! 😀

I think South York’s had to ring round those people on their files to ask what firearms etc they owned! 

Yeah that pretty much matches what I've heard.

On 30/09/2019 at 20:51, Mr_Nobody said:

The official line was to blame one woman's poor record keeping. They sent us all out a letter asking for us to complete the list of firearms we owned or send our certs back for verification.

I think there was a more fundamental issue with the office, from speaking with fellow shooters, so they used a scapegoat to get back on track.

We've still not got a proper National Firearms Database, if we did it could be used to handle transfers etc without costly and time-consuming paperwork.