setting up a fun shoot

mel b3

good afternoon guys,

as some of you already know , ive got a little plot of woodland up in wales . ive already got a few spinner targets up there , that a mate , and my lad shoot from time to time , and i was thinking about having the odd day when guest were invited along (probably just a few pw members , if theres any interest ,  or mates etc) , and setting up something a little better , maybe  ft or hft ish . it wouldn't be a permanent thing , just a few get togethers in the summer maybe , or whatever suited everyone really . has anyone got any experience of this kind of thing ? , and if they have , could they point out the pros and cons please ?. its 8.5 acres , and quite steep in places , but targets could be set up so that the shooting was across the slope , and not up or down it . all sensible information will be gratefully received .

cheers guys.

50 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ive shot a few hft comps in the past and have a fair idea what makes up a good course  .

Actually if you can get shots up and down it makes it more interesting / challenging  .

Id be up to help / join /have fun Where roughly in wales  ? 

its in mallwyd stu , 7 miles from llanbrynmair , your very welcome to have a look and see what you think mate.

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Whilst it’s not for me personally, I must say what a lovely gesture this is from mel b3

Hope everyone appreciates it.

thank you very much sir . in all honesty , its not altogether my thing either , i only really use airguns as a pest control tool. ive been very lucky over the years , ive always had lots of great land to shoot over , farmers and land owners have been very generous towards me , and so has shooting , id just like to put a bit back into shooting if possible.

Mel, very nice offer, hope you get some interest, there’s some lovely valleys around that area and when the sun shines you could not wish to-be in a more beautiful place, we were there last week in a friends cottage, about 25 miles from your wood and toured all around there, did the antique shops at  Machynlleth and a stop at the lake in Tal-y-llyn.

Good luck with your very kind offer. :good:

I have nothing to offer Mel, but as you and your kind lady have made me many items over the past, and as i too enjoy air rifles etc my offer is this, let the experts build your course, and if permitted, me and her indoors would be honoured to shoot with you and put up a few tins of quality JSB pellets in .177 and .22 as a donation ?

Kind regards

Paul

15 minutes ago, old'un said:

Mel, very nice offer, hope you get some interest, there’s some lovely valleys around that area and when the sun shines you could not wish to-be in a more beautiful place, we were there last week in a friends cottage, about 25 miles from your wood and toured all around there, did the antique shops at  Machynlleth and a stop at the lake in Tal-y-llyn.

Good luck with your very kind offer. :good:

cheers dave . its a beautiful place to be mate . a road runs along the side of our woodland , it can get pretty hectic at times , on a busy day we see almost 5 cars :yes:. when we go up there , we very rarely move from the woodland , we can always find plenty to do , and if we dont feel like doing anything , we just sit and watch the wildlife.

6 minutes ago, biketestace said:

I have nothing to offer Mel, but as you and your kind lady have made me many items over the past, and as i too enjoy air rifles etc my offer is this, let the experts build your course, and if permitted, me and her indoors would be honoured to shoot with you and put up a few tins of quality JSB pellets in .177 and .22 as a donation ?

Kind regards

Paul

hiya paul .

youre  both more than welcome up there at any time mate , and thats a very generous offer , thankyou .:good:. im not sure if itll ever happen or not , but itll be nice if it does.

17 hours ago, mel b3 said:

cheers dave . its a beautiful place to be mate . a road runs along the side of our woodland , it can get pretty hectic at times , on a busy day we see almost 5 cars . when we go up there , we very rarely move from the woodland , we can always find plenty to do , and if we dont feel like doing anything , we just sit and watch the wildlife.

5 cars 😄  how do you cope with the grid lock 😂😂

sounds a wonderful place to sit and watch.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I guarantee you'll have a damn good welcome from Mel and his good wife Lin.

Count me in for next summer!

Good wife ??,you have met her haven't you ?😅.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

5 cars 😄  how do you cope with the grid lock 😂😂

sounds a wonderful place to sit and watch.

It's a single track road , more than one car is chaos 😆.

It's a cracking place to just chill.👍.

3 hours ago, Mr.C said:

HFT is all I use the air rifle for, most Sundays. Sounds like a great location but it's 5.5 hrs from my house! Might have make a weekend of it.

You're more than welcome to bring a small tent and camp for the weekend,  or just string a hammock and tarp between the trees 👍.

10 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

You're more than welcome to bring a small tent and camp for the weekend,  or just string a hammock and tarp between the trees 👍.

And there was me thinking any overnight guests would be accommodated in the onsite caravan.:whistling:

3 hours ago, old'un said:

And there was me thinking any overnight guests would be accommodated in the onsite caravan.

You're welcome to stay in the caravan with me , as long as you're , female , look like Kylie Minogue, sing like Adele, go like Jordan in the sack , and cook like nigella lawson .😆

5 hours ago, redial said:

Hi Mel,

Looks ideal.

Some years ago I fished a lake in that area.

No longer a fisherman but have been thinking about buying a HW for some target use.

Not too far away (Shropshire)

Cheers.

I believe that their is quite a bit of decent fishing locally, I've only fished at a place called bluebell lakes that's 20  minutes away.

You'll be very welcome up there if I ever manage to get something put together mate 👍.