Back to childhood.

la bala

Whilst walking some hedgerows some childhood memories came flooding back. As kids we all had penknives, and one of the things we would amuse ourselves with was the forerunner of the pea shooter. We would cut a suitable size stem of Elder, then cut a twig of hardwood which would be used to pierce a hole through the centre of the Elder stem. That sorted we would fill our pockets with elderberries for hours of fun. Do you remember it. I just couldnt help myself, my mrs said i was going senile.:lol::lol:.

Capture p shooter.PNG

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Own up who used to peg a playing card to the back forks of your bike so it hit the spokes and sounded sort of like a motorbike when you rode it?

yup :good:

and i bought a pair of cow horns for my push bike and had tassells on them..............

and knobbly tyres

Edited by ditchman

13 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Loved the cow horns on my bike and with a little practise and a few bruises you could eventually navigate the two wooden posts that made up the pedestrian entrance to our local park.

Never had tassels though created too much drag, but did have knobbly tyres.

we used to call them "track bikes"....and you could do wheelies with them

Edited by ditchman

I had a rack on the front of mine for my paper round in the morning it was like a bear trap but it certainly held those papers in place. 

On the subject of wheelies I never really mastered it, normally the bike carried on for a while as I was dusting off by backside after coming off the back

Big rubber band stretched across the handlebars, correct tension sounds like jet plane, insufficient tension sounds like breaking wind.

"Matchstick guns" as we called them (made from a matchbox, half a clothes peg and a couple of rubber bands), would fire a half-matchstick several feet and give a sharp sting if it hit you on the face  --  don't remember anybody losing an eye, but there must have been a bit of a risk.   We smoked "cigarettes" made from cow parsley stuffed with dry grass, when not busy competing at throwing our sheath knives.   We also ate lots of birds and animals killed with lead shot.   It is amazing how so many PW members have lived so long.

We made Swannee Whistles out of Horse Chestnut twigs.

We'd tie a spoon to the end of a garden cane to reach over ponds into Moorhen nests and scoop out the eggs. A tin can filled with pond water over a fire, we were allowed to play with matches, was how we boiled the eggs then ate them.

Nobody drowned and id dibint do me enny aahhmmm🙄

5 hours ago, fatchap said:

Own up who used to peg a playing card to the back forks of your bike so it hit the spokes and sounded sort of like a motorbike when you rode it?

Used to get these in cereal packs when I was younger, and plastic beads that clipped to spokes so when going slowly it would run along the spoke and clacked as it hit the rims