Amazon

fatchap

I have just received a delivery from Amazon, a packet of 10. 5 inch cutting discs for my angle grinder. 

Why does Amazon insist on putting such a small item in a cardboard box not much smaller than a shipping container and don't forget the miles of screwed up paper they put in for packing.?

Its not the first time, last week bought some welding clamps 3 of them the courier had trouble passing me the box through the door way it was that big. I thought what the **** is in this, until I opened it and in amongst the miles of screwed up paper was a small bag containing the clamps, Obviously recycle it but it dont arf take up some room in the bag.

Edited by fatchap

You were lucky. I ordered a hard plastic coolbox. It came in a black plastic bag. Inside was a clear plastic bag, no packing. They had managed to smash up one of the corners of the coolbox inside and out. After many emails and sending photos I got my money back and a coolbox to put in the bin as they didn't  want it back.

I ordered a different box of similar size in the hope it would survive the journey.  It came in a cardboard box this time with lots of packing  in. Which is just as well as the outer box looked like it had been used as a football with crumpled corners and split side. Fortunatley the new coolbox was fine.

It's much easier to deliver a small but not tiny package. Not because of handling but because it can be much harder to locate a tiny parcel in the back of a van that may have 150+ parcels in it.

I dare say they also consider packaging vs insurance/replacement costs. The memory chip for you phone comes in an A4 envelope because it's far better protected, and less likely to be lost. Not to mention you have to be able to put a label on it.

A few years ago I had a 100l compressor delivered from a well known engineering suppliers, van driver/delivery guy knocked on my door and asked if I could help him unload it. Got to the open rear of the van (white one) and said "no mate". Pointed out to him that the box was reasonable size but upside down 😧.

Sent him on his way with delivery refusal paperwork, phoned supplier and explained situation. They immediately dispatched a replacement that subsequently arrived with the arrows facing skywards.

Sometimes the clues on the packaging do help.