The Supreme Court Judgement - Worrying!

TIGHTCHOKE

An interesting article from old historian David Starkey in the Mail on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7516507/DAVID-STARKEY-historic-Supreme-Court-judgement.html

"How does it come about that the law is one thing on Wednesday, September 11 and quite another on Tuesday, September 24? That something could be legal on the former day and illegal on the latter?

For that is the position the Government and the country now find themselves in. What happened in those 13 momentous days? Did Parliament pass a new Act which changed the law? Was an important, but forgotten precedent, rediscovered?

Neither, I fear. Instead – as happens in many of the best courtroom dramas – a cunning, super-clever barrister pulled the wool over the eyes of a panel of judges."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Just the judges or anyone senior?

Those judges. Most of the house of Lords.. And quite a few of the high Court. Judges. They live in a bubble protected by privilege. There are many other places where people of great age are in positions of power and make rules about lives they know nothing about. There is a lot of politicians who suffer the same ignorance. 

13 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Those judges. Most of the house of Lords.. And quite a few of the high Court. Judges. They live in a bubble protected by privilege. There are many other places where people of great age are in positions of power and make rules about lives they know nothing about. There is a lot of politicians who suffer the same ignorance. 

For one moment I thought you were talking about members of the Tory Party. 🤣

The Supreme Court is a bit of an oddity. It was created as a political expedient by Tony B-liar who wanted to remove the power of the Law Lords because he wanted to be able to impose more control over the legal process. Perhaps he still can

It operates outside the rest of the UK legal system, and unlike the High Court which resides in a magnificent building in the strand the Supreme Court sits in a rather unattractive little building called the Middlesex Guildhall.

I would first of all like to know how the Judges are/were appointed, I can't believe that Tony B-liar would have set it up using Judges that were in any way impartial. That simply wasn't his style. It appears his legacy lives on  

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That was when democracy died in this country!

My post was advising this gentleman what the lesson is that his daughter is living through

55 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Yes, my daughter, born in 2000 experienced this first hand in June 2016.

If some crooked MPs and other corrupt persons had not stirred the remoaners up we may be on our road to recovery by now. Interestingly the devision it will leave amongst the people come what may will be felt for many years to come.

Edited by sportsbob

So - given that Starkey has revealed that the case given by the barrister was on false or fudged information, is there no means to appeal the decision that was given?  I think some 17 and a half million voters (and counting) would like to see their old fashioned and honest democracy to be upheld?  I ask this in all sincerity and would appreciate anyone who can advise on this?
Pushkin🤔

Edited by Pushkin
Spelling error

3 hours ago, sportsbob said:

In June 2016 the people were given a democratic decision.

The referendum was held on a basis of one person, one vote.  

An MP's view counts 70,000 times as much as that of any ordinary citizen  (650 MPs for 46 million electors).   Does your MP display sufficient intellectual or moral superiority to make his/her opinion worth so many times more than your own?  

On the same basis, a Supreme Court judge's opinion is apparently worth 4.2 million times as much as that of an ordinary citizen.

Many judges are lawyers who spent their entire previous careers presenting wholly biased arguments.   Can we be confident that they suddenly switch to acting in a wholly impartial manner, as soon as they are appointed?   And can we have any respect for the High Court of Justice Queen's Bench Division, now that the UK Supreme Court has apparently declared them to be ignorant of the law?

If you expect all senior judges to be particularly wise, think again.   Some of them say surprising things, and this link quotes a few opinions expressed by Lord Denning:  https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/11/7-of-lord-dennings-most-controversial-comments/

Experienced lawyers have occasionally shown themselves to be totally out of touch with the world, one memorable instance being the Lady Chatterley trial where the prosecutor asked "Is it a book that you would even wish your wife or your servants to read?", apparently unable to imagine that some jurors might not be able to afford a team of domestic servants, or that male jurors perhaps did not censor their wives' reading material.

On 29/09/2019 at 19:46, TIGHTCHOKE said:

An interesting article from old historian David Starkey in the Mail on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7516507/DAVID-STARKEY-historic-Supreme-Court-judgement.html

"How does it come about that the law is one thing on Wednesday, September 11 and quite another on Tuesday, September 24? That something could be legal on the former day and illegal on the latter?

For that is the position the Government and the country now find themselves in. What happened in those 13 momentous days? Did Parliament pass a new Act which changed the law? Was an important, but forgotten precedent, rediscovered?

Neither, I fear. Instead – as happens in many of the best courtroom dramas – a cunning, super-clever barrister pulled the wool over the eyes of a panel of judges."

Superbly written 👍

15 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Yes, my daughter, born in 2000 experienced this first hand in June 2016.

Thats terrible for her !
Did she not experience it in 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 17 too ?

I mean, why dont we lower the voting age to 16 , but why stop there ?
Why couldnt you vote on her behalf in 2001 ? Oh but you did !

Why dont we do what labour is suggesting and let every single foreign national vote in this country ?

Cant see a problem , can you ?
Maybe we can vote in their elections as well....

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Thats terrible for her !
Did she not experience it in 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 17 too ?

I mean, why dont we lower the voting age to 16 , but why stop there ?
Why couldnt you vote on her behalf in 2001 ? Oh but you did !

Why dont we do what labour is suggesting and let every single foreign national vote in this country ?

Cant see a problem , can you ?
Maybe we can vote in their elections as well....

Now you’re being 😜 

Part of the problem is in likening the 2016 vote to GE votes every 4 or 5 years.

35 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Now you’re being 😜 

You started it !

35 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Part of the problem is in likening the 2016 vote to GE votes every 4 or 5 years.

You are of course correct, the referendum was nothing like a GE.
GE s are respected by all political parties straight away, and enacted, unlike our 'once in a lifetime  , and will be delivered' referendum.