Fiber wad "Range"

Dibble

This is a just out of interest question!

I had a go at checking my shot pattern by putting up some big cardboard boxes, I could only go out to 20 meters. The result was much as expected the pattern was about 100mm low what surprised me was the wad had enough energy to go through two sheets of card. At least I presume thats what the large hole was. Going by the marks around the hole there was some shot embedded in it. The holes were 300mm to the left, 200mm low, with a mild crosswind going that way. I fired 12 shots and had 11 big holes in various bits of card.

I had always presumed Wads fell away after 10 meters or so.

Hull CompX fibre wad 7 1/2 shot 21g. AYA no3 with very little choke 1/4 and 1/2 ish.

Edited by Dibble

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Forget the pattern and start shooting things with the wads, if you get get some pellets stuck in the wad it increases the range. 

Seriously the range of the wad depends on loads and makes of carts. The thickness and material make up and density all factor in.

By gum, I think you've cracked it! Over the top of an obturator you load a mix of shot embedded in a mass of photo degradable wadding material which disintergrates  within 0.2 secs from leaving the barrel. This delayed pellet spread would give us a 90 yard pheasant. Hang on, though, haven't we been here before?

Did The Home Guard try pouring melted wax onto pellets so they would go through the choke but stay bunched longer?

Of course what you really want for those long pheasant is something explosive with a proximity fuse. I work with a guy who developed Sea Wolf I'll have a word (I don't think Sea Wolf had a proximity fuse).

20yrds is much too close to do a pattern test anyway. At least 30 to 35 in my view as that is the working range so to speak.  I had two pheasants last year given me after a shoot for using in a game pie. Both serious battered and one had a very large hole right through, obviously from a wad. Someone was stupidly shooting at birds far too close.

It is likely shooting low because you are aiming, looking down the flat of the rib, which is not what you would likely be doing in a live situation. Try mounting the gun and firing as soon as you think you are on target and don't AIM like a rifle.  For live game you would be or should be looking at the bird anyway.

Edited by Walker570

56 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

20yrds is much too close to do a pattern test anyway. At least 30 to 35 in my view as that is the working range so to speak.  I had two pheasants last year given me after a shoot for using in a game pie. Both serious battered and one had a very large hole right through, obviously from a wad. Someone was stupidly shooting at birds far too close.

It is likely shooting low because you are aiming, looking down the flat of the rib, which is not what you would likely be doing in a live situation. Try mounting the gun and firing as soon as you think you are on target and don't AIM like a rifle.  For live game you would be or should be looking at the bird anyway.

Two valid points. To amplify further:

If you do a check at 20 yards and note the result, don't be too surprised if doing it again at the more usual 40 yards (where it probably matters more) you find that you've gone a full degree of choke more open.

Yep, there's nothing wrong with aiming purely for a pattern test, but it's no good if you're looking at gun fit. However, even if you did aim at 20 metres, 100mm or so equates to double that at 40. To revert to good old Imperial, this would mean that just the top 7" of your 30" circle where the pellet count is going to be sparse - probably too sparse for a clean kill - is available to do the business. This is a considerable error and even taking that induced by aiming into account it's worth considering and having a look at it.

19 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Two valid points. To amplify further:

If you do a check at 20 yards and note the result, don't be too surprised if doing it again at the more usual 40 yards (where it probably matters more) you find that you've gone a full degree of choke more open.

Yep, there's nothing wrong with aiming purely for a pattern test, but it's no good if you're looking at gun fit. However, even if you did aim at 20 metres, 100mm or so equates to double that at 40. To revert to good old Imperial, this would mean that just the top 7" of your 30" circle where the pellet count is going to be sparse - probably too sparse for a clean kill - is available to do the business. This is a considerable error and even taking that induced by aiming into account it's worth considering and having a look at it.

Agreed

Check pattern at 40yds, that's where lessons are there to be learned (holes etc)

20yds will tell you nothing unless its a .410 

Edited by Vince Green

:Once saw a guy who was a well known shooter cut a shell and fire it in a Remington trap  full choke.Most people there stood well back.Like old farrier said how many barrels have been ruined.Benthejocky you may not do this but a young person may just try it.And come unstuck.You could have issued a warning.We all know the stuff put on u tube . There’s always someone who will copy.