Exceptable fps

strimmer_13

Not that ive noticed any difference in the placement of shots up to 25-30 yards, i chronoed the fx cyclone the other days next to my 'cheap' remi xp, and have wrote down the results. Have i done the math right here, as i would of thought with the fx being regulated it would of been a tighter fps. Also never realised the difference in ftlb. 

Mind you this could all be ******** and if somebody could point out any mistakes id be grateful 

Matt IMG_20190908_113738-2232x2976.jpg.c73c5a736a7da69d41b693002b0acc14.jpg

Over penetrating what .? 

Rabbits /pige ..

The jsb /air arms pellet is so similar as to make zero difference in this aspect (terminal ballistics ) .

If your gun likes them the jsb rs or falcon accuracy +  pellet .is faster and lighter (13.4 grn ). (And in your springer might give more energy ) this should mean it penetrates less than the 16 grn pellet .

As noted both strings look fine and I would also confirm that heavier pellets get more useful energy out of a pcp, whilst lighter pellets get more useful energy out of a springer in general.

PM me your address and I'll send you some light H&N pellets to try in the springer.

I agree about the tighter fps comment you made-I put a huma regulator in my webley raider 12 and get a spread of 20fps. my cheap cometa fenix 400 has a spread of 8fps. I've seen several videos of regulated pcp rifles and the fps spread isn't as tight as I thought it would be. On the other hand my aa s410f isn't regulated, has a spread of about 30fps from 190 bar to about 130 bar but outshoots me all day long.

Does having the reg not mean you get more usable shots before the pressure drops?

12 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Had to check as the diablos are over penetrating and not dropping cleanly at all. In fact i wont use them again. No idea why they are, look the bloody same as jsbs 

My fault for not buying bulk of jsbs exacts. 

I take it you mean not dropping quarry?

is it possible there similar but harder lead?

guessing you've checked your accuracy if your checking the FPS

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Over penetrating what .? 

Rabbits /pige ..

The jsb /air arms pellet is so similar as to make zero difference in this aspect (terminal ballistics ) .

If your gun likes them the jsb rs or falcon accuracy +  pellet .is faster and lighter (13.4 grn ). (And in your springer might give more energy ) this should mean it penetrates less than the 16 grn pellet .

Rabbits. Strangely going straight through the head. All sub 35 yard shots. The week before dropping like stones with the jsbs. Last week i was punching holes and had to give a second as they circling with blood just pumping out both sides. I gave up, it wasnt ethical. I had 2 run off after the usual jump up, roll over, twitch, kick, get up, circle for 5 secs  blindly and walk into the brambles. They all done that but i had the chance on a second shot on a few. Usually as any body who shoots knows they either drop, jump or twitch with maybe a very odd runner making a few yards. 

8 hours ago, figgy said:

The air arms pellets are made by JSB.

I thought that seeing as the tin says made in Czech or some such

7 hours ago, stu64 said:

I agree about the tighter fps comment you made-I put a huma regulator in my webley raider 12 and get a spread of 20fps. my cheap cometa fenix 400 has a spread of 8fps. I've seen several videos of regulated pcp rifles and the fps spread isn't as tight as I thought it would be. On the other hand my aa s410f isn't regulated, has a spread of about 30fps from 190 bar to about 130 bar but outshoots me all day long.

I was a little worried as ive heard about failures on the fx cyclone (btas) regulator. But didnt know what was a exceptable variation in fps. 

6 hours ago, stu64 said:

I charge to 190 to get higher shot count and the fps actually rises as the pressure drops, until about 175bar where the fps levels out, much as you would expect-the famous pcp power curve. the 30fps spread has no real effect on accuracy for plinking. 

Always do the falcon fn19 20 bar below. But would of thought having a reg in should level the shot string straight away? 

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

Does having the reg not mean you get more usable shots before the pressure drops?

Thats what i thought. As the earlier versions wernt reged by ben taylor and son (btas). I charge to 200bar and have 100+ shots before i bother to recharge. The reg is set to roughly 82bar according to the taco underneath. Only seen it drop below that once and that was after 140+ shots 

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

guessing you've checked your accuracy if your checking the FPS

With the jsbs, ridiculous single hole groups at 25 yards. The aas were roughly (un measured) 10-12mm ctc. Not as good as the jsbs. The fx is by far the most accurate airgun ive ever used, even better than the s410 i was playing with as my mate bought a new one and we had a good 2 tin plinking session. Pretty much 10 hours over 3 days just target bashing. As we found out, shoot a breeze block enough and youll start drilling holes in it 😀

1 minute ago, Robertt said:

Over penetrating? 

If it goes through its doing its job.

22LR, 223, 308 they all go through.

Shot placement is the answer.

No animal is going far with a bullet though the brain.

I know what your both saying, I often get this on rats, but you want what you shoot to drop ideally.

Were talking sub 12ftlb air rob, a 100ftlb lr will make a decent wound channel on the way through. These aa pellets didnt seem to dissipate much energy unlike the jsbs, which in theory are jsb jumbos so should of been slightly better. 

Not wrong with shot placement, been putting lead in rabbits for a few decades 😂

IMG-20190804-WA0004.jpg

Next time you head shoot one and it does one, if you can get a second shot into it and recover it a PM will reveal all.

Many years ago I had to look after a bloke who had been shot in the head at a range of 3 feet with a 9mm.

The bullet went straight through his head breaking his jaw, smashing through his teeth and pallet.

A different / heavier bullet would have made no difference.

Unfortunately the brain was missed and several years later he killed the man that shot him.

I personally dont shoot .sub 12 .22s  at rabbits .i find that the rabbit can either dodge the shot or if hit that a heavy pellet doenst transfer its retained energy so well .. a fast med / light weight. 177 will drop a rabbit much more often in my experience..

You should see how fast they go over when hit with a 900 fps .177 jsb exact .

The heavier pellet is thicker internally and less likely to deform and will carry on through.

In .22 I used standard dome heads or the blue tins of Eley Wasps when they were ok. Used to get the odd flier but the rest were good enough for clean kills.

15 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Next time you head shoot one and it does one, if you can get a second shot into it and recover it a PM will reveal all.

Many years ago I had to look after a bloke who had been shot in the head at a range of 3 feet with a 9mm.

The bullet went straight through his head breaking his jaw, smashing through his teeth and pallet.

A different / heavier bullet would have made no difference.

Unfortunately the brain was missed and several years later he killed the man that shot him.

**** me thats a horrific story, must of been pretty ****ty having to help a man in that state. 

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I personally dont shoot .sub 12 .22s  at rabbits .i find that the rabbit can either dodge the shot or if hit that a heavy pellet doenst transfer its retained energy so well .. a fast med / light weight. 177 will drop a rabbit much more often in my experience..

You should see how fast they go over when hit with a 900 fps .177 jsb exact .

I usually like to use the falcon in 177 just to prove the old girl can still do it, which she does a fine job at with aas in her, but shes decided to **** out about 150 bars worth of air after the first 10 shots. Cba finding which o ring has gone yet, might sell her and get a bsa super ten. That and a rapid 7 have always been my dream airguns

Edited by strimmer_13

12 hours ago, Stonepark said:

As noted both strings look fine and I would also confirm that heavier pellets get more useful energy out of a pcp, whilst lighter pellets get more useful energy out of a springer in general.

PM me your address and I'll send you some light H&N pellets to try in the springer.

Thats a super offer thank you 👍

Well the saga continues 

Aas came out better than the jsb jumbos tonight at 25mtr.

Plannned this all week and this ****ty weather kicks in 😡. I have no idea what wind speed was going on, i just waited till the grass stopped moving and squeezed away. Full mag (8) shot groups rested off the bonnet. Was a **** tho as the gear was so wet everything was sliding off the bonnet. 

IMG_20191003_172322.jpg

IMG_20191003_172342.jpg

IMG_20191003_172337.jpg

IMG_20191003_172328.jpg

IMG_20191003_172333.jpg

Those soverign keisers really are ****. They are the only ones you can feel struggling to load, then some slip in easy. 

Crossman premiers came up good again, always had a soft spot for these, shame most guns dont 😂

Edited by strimmer_13

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

My old boss loved the crossman premiers shame they were so expensive at the time.

They made absolutely no difference in my supersport in the mid 90s, but i wanted them as they came in a box not a tin. Should of bought the cheaper accupells.

Also same as i used to buy milbro Caledonians as they came in boxes for about £3. Utter **** but good for shooting the washing machine my mate had in his back garden. I swear we put about 3000 pellets in that. I just like pellets in boxes 😂

Bloody predictive text, that should have read as my old BSA.

The crossman premiers had lots of weight in the dome heads and hit bunnies hard. This was also in the 90's. When Webley brought their own range I too started to use them. 

marksman were sold in boxes, if I wanted cheap pellets it was Wasps in tins of 500.

Edited by figgy