Teal, cock or drake?

Wilksy II

Why is it no one ever state weather they shot a goose or gander when they mention the number of geese shot on a flight ? , apart from the head it would be hard for most people who don't handle a lot of geese to tell the difference , so three Pinks or a couple , (pair) of Greylags would cover it , note I didn't say a brace of Greylags :lol:

9 hours ago, Penelope said:

Teal:       Male - Cock. Female -Hen.

Wigeon: Male - Cock. Female - Hen.

Mallard: Male - Mallard or Drake. Female - Wild duck or duck.

This.

And when speaking of a Drake Pintail the American term is a Bullsprig. 

When it comes to pheasants a lot of men I know call them''Roosters'' even men from my fathers generation.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We always referred  Pintail as Duck and Drake , I have never heard anyone call a male Pintail a cock , always a drake Pintail and a hen 

It is only the Wigeon and Teal where cock and hen is the correct terminology. Everything else is duck and drake.

6 minutes ago, Penelope said:

It is only the Wigeon and Teal where cock and hen is the correct terminology. Everything else is duck and drake.

Why didn't they just leave the cock and hen for game birds, and duck and drakes for ducks ........... it would have been a bit of a problem with say a cock Sheldrake or a hen Shelduck , when the sex is already in the name............... why do they complicate things :lol: