Anyone feel the cold during Winter?

bruno22rf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a close run thing with a solid fuel hand warmer. It was -10 in Feb and i was fully cloathed (including boots) and half soaked, in a sleeping bag. I had the top draw string pulled and a LMG one side of me and pockets full of ammo. The hand warmer was open whilst i blew on the hot charcoal to get some extra warmth. Unfortunately I blew too hard and the hot embers went up into the air inside the bag and started to melt the bag whilst burning my face and arms. I tried to make a quick exit but could not undo the draw cord and went into some sort of fighting frenzy ripping at the cord. I have suffered with claustrophobia ever since.  :/

old'un - they run the same as most mobile phones - 5v - you can charge the power banks using your phone charger USB adaptor - the power bank comes with a lead with the male USB on the end - mine is identical to ebay item 133181308298 but got mine slightly cheaper on Amazon.If it's any help re sizing I am 46" chest , 47@ round the ,er, fat bit and 93kg - the xxxxl is tight.

If you feel cold during winter ditch the cotton next to the skin and either go for merino wool or a synthetic (my preference).

Still feeling cold? Add the long johns. 

If you're not in to heavy activities these and similar are hard to beat in terms of bang for buck:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Thermal-Long-Sleeve-Baselayer/dp/B00BIBDTQW/ref=sr_1_103?crid=2Y68AA83VODFH&keywords=thermal%2Bunderwear%2Bmen&qid=1570104463&s=gateway&sprefix=thermal%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-103&th=1&psc=1

No need for self igniting human torch clobber, the body generates enough heat, it's just a case of holding onto it. 

1 hour ago, Uilleachan said:

If you feel cold during winter ditch the cotton next to the skin and either go for merino wool or a synthetic (my preference).

Still feeling cold? Add the long johns. 

If you're not in to heavy activities these and similar are hard to beat in terms of bang for buck:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Thermal-Long-Sleeve-Baselayer/dp/B00BIBDTQW/ref=sr_1_103?crid=2Y68AA83VODFH&keywords=thermal%2Bunderwear%2Bmen&qid=1570104463&s=gateway&sprefix=thermal%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-103&th=1&psc=1

No need for self igniting human torch clobber, the body generates enough heat, it's just a case of holding onto it. 

Thats the answer, "but" the extremities, toes and fingers are the problem areas, hands are easier to keep warm but does allot harder. Cold feet ends more shooting days earlier than no sign of quarry I bet. 

Its all about the layers. 

I spend quite a lot of time sat up high seats year round.....just about got the clothing side sussed now.

Feet.... bought a pair of Grubs Eskline 8.5’s and these have been excellent, bit chunky to drive in and I wouldn’t want to walk all day in them. The Snowline has a grippier sole for more grip. Think I paid around the £70 mark.

https://www.grubsbootsonline.co.uk/

Legs... Autumn is just a pair of long johns under shooting trousers. Winter is a pair of padded trousers..... I bought a pair of pertex pile lined trousers several years ago and they finally had it early this year. The cold snap this week had me looking for Deerhunter Rusky but last night I ordered a pair of these....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swedish-army-surplus-thermal-extreme-cold-weather-trousers/182056589653?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D9c8ad23cc3304d49b4b9cd960fb459f9%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D182056589653%26itm%3D182056589653%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa9f0a361-e676-11e9-b7ad-74dbd1807750|parentrq%3A959f16a716d0a9e3aeaf74a5ffff65fa|iid%3A1

When it gets ‘kin cold, I’ve got a pair of Snugpak bib n brace insulated.

Up top, my outer jacket is an old faithful Rivers West smock which unless it’s really hot, gets worn all year round, under layers increase as it gets colder to.... 2 merino long sleeved under shirts, 2 microfleeces....these combat undershirts are good if you find find one big enough 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=combat+undershirt+thermal+fleece&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11021.m3197.l1150%2F7%3Feuid%3D76fb60be2e664a6dac7f54d64e35dc66%26bu%3D43179839469%26ut%3DRU%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fulk%252Fsch%253F_sop%253D10%2526_nkw%253Dcombat%252Bundershirt%252Bthermal%252Bfleece%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%26srcrot%3De11021.m3197.l1150%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D95b00abd16d0aaa731446f43fff4a85b&ul_noapp=true

followed by a down or insulated gilet/jacket.

Thats 6 layers....I’ve had 7 on before and still able to move... it’s a big jacket! And it’s got a big hood....head-wise it’s just a cheapie Jack Pike insulated cap with the lights in the peak. Neck/face is one of those stretchy tubes graduating to a fleece one...hands is generally a pair of macwets going to an insulated glove for my left hand for the spotter.

phew! You’d think I’d sweat like a bucket as soon as I moved or walked out to the seat but it’s been pretty good.... the Grub boots made a lot of difference to hours spent up a seat.

cheers

fizz

I forgot the merino socks....so far only one pair

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

When you get older and suffer poor circulation, or with some diseases or medication, your body simply cannot handle the cold - I have shot in weather when I was younger that physically made my mate cry with cold. With many more years behind me, and a medical history that I will not bore you with, I now shiver around 5 degrees - merino wool, padded shirts, Army extreme weather boiler suits - tried em all but to no avail hence the new experiment with heated clothing.So far it seems to be the best by a mile - it's no thicker than a wool shirt but is very warm even on it's lowest setting. Spoke to a local seamstress today re jacket being too small - she informs me that she can make an insert - zipped both sides to attach to the jackets zip, for a couple of quid - result.

after chemo      my hands and feet in the cold feel like you have put them into an open fire hurt like hell dew to nerve damage   ,    military thermal long johns and vest help  however Russian sheepskin mittens are a life saver for about a tenner even wet keep your hands warm (a peacock petrol warmer is also a god send in your lower back / trouser belt keeps your core warm )  real wool knitted socks in your waders also  a god send  natural wool fibres keep you warm better than any  thing else even when wet however can become heavy ,  but still warm//    natural wool is the best insulator wet or dry its  why the old fishermen mountain men used them  ,     we now use synthetic materials  with a badge,,,,,   a badge doesn't keep you warm ,it costs you money to wear it ///////   I have had two arren jumpers from my 20s to my mid 50s have not wore the second one through  yet ,  should see me through another 5 or 6 seasons hopefully  what's more eco friendly than that  (wool keeps you warm wet or dry)     (brand names are just that ) a brand name 

I suffer from Raynauds which is bad circulation to the point i'm in danger of getting gangrene in my fingers. Last winter was the worst I've ever experienced so i always wear multiple layers. Last year invested in a pair of silk gloves which when worn under my leather pair work really well.

Sucks getting old.

7 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

Reynauds  here.

came on a few years ago and is quite alarming to watch the colour/blood supply drain 

from your fingers. 

Also due to radio and chemo treatment  recently I'm sat with the heating on and multiple layers 

of clothing.

I know where your coming from,,      keep wildfowling  a reason to get out of bed  regardless  ,,     using extreme weather gear from Germany Ussr  cant go wrong,,   peacock  or similar for instant  heat

hurts like hell regardless  not to mention the walk back to the carpark  have asked others,,,,,  please could you carefully unzip my jacket  and put my hands into my armpits slowly  as they are on fire  ,,I cant describe the pain , it feels like your hands and feet  are scalded from boiling water really unpleasant  and pain full as hell  (early season )god help us if temps drop to - 10 or more 

The Swedish army kegs have just arrived......they look pretty robust, well made...and drops of water bead on the surface so obviously have a dwr finish. 

These  170/65’s are decently short on the inside ...just right for my short-**** 29.5” inside leg and I wouldn’t want to measure much more 35/36” around than my finely chiselled 6 pack belly 🤣...the top ends up just on my rib cage, snug in the crotch but plenty of room in the knees so they don’t get tighter when sitting....and I’ve still got my jeans on underneath.

No pockets (but then my last pair didn’t either), Twin full length ‘proper’ heavy duty zips with a padded flap behind...time will tell whether the wind will penetrate that. 

I can get them inside and over the Grub’s boots ok.

The only real downside is the ‘scratchy’ cotton poplin type of nylon material but for the price they’re a bit of a billy bargain. I guess that the larger sizes s’be available at some point or in stock somewhere else?

Cheers

fizz

On 02/10/2019 at 13:04, Rewulf said:

UK large to XL , Ive ordered an XXL for the heater thing .

Well Im wearing my electric jacket !
An XL turned up , and it fits OK  , a little snug, but I think it will work better that way.
Ive got the power bank plugged in , but cant work out if its switch on yet, theres a button on the chest, but it doesnt light up, and no idea what setting its on :lol:

No instructions.!

38 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Well Im wearing my electric jacket !
An XL turned up , and it fits OK  , a little snug, but I think it will work better that way.
Ive got the power bank plugged in , but cant work out if its switch on yet, theres a button on the chest, but it doesnt light up, and no idea what setting its on 

No instructions.!

The ones I have looked at it says to press and hold the power setting button for 3 to 5 seconds, it should then light up...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Vest-Heated-Cloth-Jacket-USB-Warm-Up-Heating-Pad-Body-Winter-Warmer-UK/323903091053?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D60382%26meid%3Defdac9f1801c45629b3bd3225ef8a178%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D123531281798%26itm%3D323903091053%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

The ones I have looked at it says to press and hold the power setting button for 3 to 5 seconds, it should then light up.

Thank you ! I had tried that to no avail, so I swapped the plug over from the 2A to the 1A socket on the power bar, I cant believe how quickly it warmed up, seconds !
Very warm indeed !

59 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it's been nice knowing you Mate!

Im sweating already !

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Thank you ! I had tried that to no avail, so I swapped the plug over from the 2A to the 1A socket on the power bar, I cant believe how quickly it warmed up, seconds !
Very warm indeed !

Im sweating already !

Is the heat just in certain areas or does the whole jacket heat up?

17 minutes ago, old'un said:

Is the heat just in certain areas or does the whole jacket heat up?

Middle of your back, but the jacket itself has like a thermal liner, which helps even when its not switched on.
Ill be honest , its better than I thought it would be , and I wish Id bought one sooner.
I recommend it !

P.S. For some reason , every time I switch it off, I have to unplug my power lead to get it to restart, and I havent worked out if its got adjustable power levels yet.