Remove walls

ShootingEgg

Have just had an offer accepted on a house, and mortgage sorted, solicitor instructed etc. 

Once we've moved in we are looking at opening up the kitchen Dining room and what they call a conservatory. (it's a 1930's house) guessing we would have to support where we take out, with steel or concrete lintle. 

Anyone in the trade that may be able to roughly say a price of the wall removal and supports etc

20191001-214422.jpg

Edited by ShootingEgg

Unless you already know if the walls are load bearing, you could ask your local council Building Control for the last known blueprints……  You should register any alterations you do with them, otherwise you leave yourself open to all sorts of grief if anything goes south😳

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on costs…...

Would need the upstairs floor plan too before anything could even be said really. It looks to me that where the double doors are that lead to the "conservatory" is the existing rear of the house with the cavity. If the conservatory and utility are single story it would be difficult to do as the roofline would interfere with the steels. The dining wall steel would have to load on the rear steel (that would have to be a double to take both courses) and on the other end may require a post or column building. 

Basically what I'm saying is it's not that easy! First you would need a set of drawings making and a visit from a structural engineer for load calculations and steel sizes before you go down the route of a building notice 

1 hour ago, Rob525 said:

Basically what I'm saying is it's not that easy! First you would need a set of drawings making and a visit from a structural engineer for load calculations and steel sizes before you go down the route of a building notice 

Thats what I do for a living, and that's why I advised Building Control……..  There could have been numerous alterations since the 1930's and this will 'usually' be recorded😬

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Your thinking to much mate.  Three friends, two sledge hammers, lots of beer.  

Thought of that, but we'd use cider as pain numbing haha

5 hours ago, KB1 said:

Thats what I do for a living, and that's why I advised Building Control……..  There could have been numerous alterations since the 1930's and this will 'usually' be recorded😬

The only changes made are the 'conservatory' has newer windows, and it's a new bathroom, the rest is original. 

7 hours ago, Rob525 said:

Would need the upstairs floor plan too before anything could even be said really. 

The wall between kitchen / dining are upstairs is bed2 and bathroom devide. And the outside wall, the conservatory roof is just plastic sheets so that would all come down as part of the job etc as we can go out another 3m without planning on ground level. 

33 minutes ago, team tractor said:

You’d need doors between conservatory and house as it’s counted at external. A lot don’t bother but unless it’s an extension ( proper roof ) you need to. 

Yeah, ideally want no doors so It makes it one good sized living space, not fussed on having a conservatory, and doubt the cost of proper roof vs conservatory is that different now(purely a guess that is)